Premed 101 Forums

ubc courses

Guest yohimbebark

Guest yohimbebark

Hey people,

I was hoping that those of you who have taken the following courses could offer some insight (eg. how much time should I be prepared to put into them? are they interesting/boring? etc)

I'll probably take these courses regardless, so it would be nice to just mentally prepare :D (sounds silly i know)

PCTH 305 (6)

PHYL 301 (6)

MICB 302

BIOC 302 (6)

BIOL 334

BIOL 335

Also, since most of them are 6 credit-year long, will that likely work to my advantage or is it going to be kiss of "death" :eek

Well thanks!

(btw physiology, i think i know you :b )

Guest McCarey007

Don't stress out too much.

MICB 302 - lots of memorization when I took it with Dr. Teh. But it might be better now with a new prof. Pretty boring course because a lot of emphasis was placed on knowing your signalling molecules and pathways. On exams, need to answer coherently and straight to the point.

BIOL 334/335 - learn key ideas and apply. Don't need to memorize every little detail but learn the examples well, and you will do reasonably well on the midterm and final.

I found 335 to be pretty interesting....334 was okay. Both courses are pretty easy if you know how to learn and apply.

BIOC 302 - Material in this course is applicable to all biological sciences. Spend some time learning the material and you will do well. No real surprises when I took it.

Hope that helps.

Guest kakashifan

micb 302 - yup! i agree... pretty boring (actually really really boring) if with Dr. Teh alone... if you keep up and make little signally pathways for yourself, you will do well

biol 334/335 - i also agree again. people usu do really well or really bad (since the mt is only three Qs and final i think 7?)

phyl 301 - eek! i bombed this course. this course only have one mt (dec) and one final (apr).. so you if you don't keep up or have a good memory, you can bomb it like me. otherwise, pretty interesting.. just have to know which facts are relevant or not. (note: do not buy the bpp phyl exam pkg.. get it off a friend. it does not seem to change over the years)

Guest Makunouchi

Micb 302 was sort of confusing... but with Dr. Kion as the TA, it was great. Lots of memorization in immunology though... with those 3-consonant names in pathways.

Biol 334/335 is a good course if you like understanding material vs. memorization.

Guest smooth operater

hey sorry I can't help out Mak since I am an incoming 2nd yr. I assum you took bio 201 and 200?

Does each section for Bio 200 has different final exam? Is that the same for Bio 201?

anyone who took them b4 can reply to it too. Thank!

Guest yohimbebark

smooth operator,

biol 200 has different final exams for different sections-- I had Berger. He was a quality prof for sure... totally dedicated to his students. I recommend him.

And I believe he may be the only 200 prof without an accent.. so I guess that'd be a good thing (easier to understand)

Biol 201 is the same, i think. They said the exams were section-specific but I doubt it. (Maybe one question or so was different)

Archived