Premed 101 Forums

I need some help!

Guest Ticket

Guest Ticket

I was almost reluctant to start this thread, since I should be ecstatic about my situation...but I've been accepted to more than one school, including MUN - any of which I would have been happy to attend. :\

Know I don't know what to do. I was hoping those of you from Memorial could point out the differences/advantages of MUN, other than it being in the home province!

Thanks in advance for your input.

-ticket

Guest climberchick

Hey Ticket, Congrats.... don't I wish I were in your shoes right now ;)

I'm sure deep down, you have a preference, so just follow your heart and go where you think you would be happiest.

Now if you did end up given up your seat at MUN, that means someone on MUN's waitlist would get accepted, which means they wouldn't be re-applying again next year, which means less competition for me next year when I re-apply.... Of course I'm kidding... sort of. :P

Have fun hitting the books in September!!!

~climber

Guest stevetilley

Ticket-

Congrats on the multiple acceptances!!

Personally I love going to MUN med, its very laid back and suits me very well. On the same token, I also love st.john's, and liking the city you live in is a big part of determining how happy you'll be.

On a practical note, mun tuition is about as cheap as it gets outside of quebec (mun is about $6500 a year). Also living in st.john's is inexpensive as well. ($500/month rental gets you a nice pad, or many med students actually buy houses for about $120k and just make mortagage payments that are often lower than rent)

One *small* drawback to mun is that they don't have a full spectrum of residencies (i.e. no ENT, plastics, derm, optho, etc...) As these specialties are typically quite competitive, it is definately good to have a homefield advantage. That being said, many mun grads who apply to competitive specialities have matched to them in the past (so going to mun does by no means rule out ENT, plastics, etc, but if you want those you're going to have to make a helluva impression during your away elevtives).

If you DO choose MUN, however, you'll get to go to my RAGING TOGA PARTY this August! ;)

Cheers and have fun deciding,

Steve

Guest Ticket

Hey Steve,

Togo party - I'm definately in!!

Now seriously, thanks for the thoughts to ponder. In all my years living in Newfoundland, I've never lived in St. John's - I wish I knew more what it was like. I all hear is that its fun but the weather is iffy.

I guess I only have this week to decide. (Climberchick, I'll let you know what I decide.)

Guest climberchick

Hey Ticket,

I didn't attend MUN, but I have spent several summers in "TOWN" and I think it is a great city.

... of course George Street goes with out saying... it's completely awesome. But what I really love about St. John's is that although it is a small city, there is nothing it doesn't offer... except maybe good shopping ;)

MUN is a great campus, it's beautiful, and the student Center, well although I have a nostalgic connection with the OLD TSC, has to be the best of any University Student Center in Canada.

The Parks are great, Bowering Park is a great place to go for a walk, bike ride, or just for some nice scenery. Quidi Vidi, especially during the regatta, is also pretty great, I just hope they don't turn the old stadium into a supermarket.

Another great thing about St. John's is that it's only a quick drive to rural Newfoundland, to boat tours, climbing, and sea kayaking.

Of course there is Signal Hill, which is a great touristy place to visit, but also a great place to do some hiking, or to just park your car and look out over the city it's absolutely beautiful up there at night when the city is glowing with lights.

A lot of tourist say that St. John's has a lot of culture. To a newfie this doesn't really mean a lot if you've never lived anywhere but Newfoundland, you just take "Newfie Culture" as a way of life, but having lived in Ontario for the past four year, I sure did miss it. Not hearing "Yes B'y" on a constant basis.... well I'm sure you know what I'm talking about as you must have attended university out of province.

Of course you are right, the weather is a down side. It does rain especially in the spring... and although I think it's warm in the summer, it's much warmer in Ontario and BC for sure, but O think the winters in Ontario are colder, with less snow, and in my opinion that sucks, I mean what's winter with out lots of snow to enjoy. (I'm also a cross country ski buff, another plus about st. john's is that it has great trails just outside the city, and pippy park is great for just a quick ski. ) And of course WHite Hills is just a two hour drive away... great for road trips.

What else about St. John's.... you can buy beer in corner stores meaning at night and on sundays. Cheap rent, (and tuition), downside is that gas in usually more expensive than the rest of canada... although nova scotia isn't far behind. You can feel relatively confident that if you leave your bike unattended for 15 mins it probably wont get stolen. You can walk at night by yourself and feel relatively safe. Most things are in walking distance to MUN, even downtown... if you don't get lost on the way home that is ;)

I personally like how MUNMED gives students ample opportunity to experience rural medicine, however this may be a down point for some. The Liberians at the health scinces library are amazing, they can help you find anything. I like how personal and comfy it feels compared to bigger libraries.

The Janeway is a State of the Art facility, a great place to learn pediatrics.

The list keeps going, the more I think about it the more I love St. John's and MUN

Good Luck in deciding,

~climber

P.S. i really was kidding in that previous post, but be warned, if you do end up choosing MUN, you may have an eager first year bugging you for tips and possible study notes come next year :):P ;P :rollin 8o

Guest walkorbike

Hi, everybody,

I just wanted to boost what stevetilley said about specialties. I heard that this year's CaRMS match at MUN was heavily focussed toward specialties and nearly everyone did well with their specialty match.

-walkorbike

p.s. d77mah and Win2002, sorry to hear about your news. Climberchick, it's fantastic that you are so positive about MUN and I know that enthusiasm will serve you well.

Guest Ticket

Hey climberchick,

What a great post! I'm sad that you didn't get in this year! But hopefully you will next try! Like walkorbike said - you're definately one of the most enthusiastic that I've come across. :rollin

Thanks all.

-ticket

Guest stevetilley

As a followup to my previous post,

Just got a chance to have a peek at this years matches...

I saw one ENT match and one Optho. Many many went into radiology both at MUN and across canada and the US. Rad onc also seemed popular. I saw one person also matched to psych at Harvard. As one would suspect, many students matched into internal and family as well.

Cheers,

Steve

Guest Ticket

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all your help, especially climberchick. I definitely had to go with my heart, and my gut.

After days of back and forth, I'm 95% sure that I'll be attending Memorial this Sept. Some people here in Ontario think I'm crazy for choosing MUN over the other schools I've been accepted to - but what do they know. All the doctors here at my work think MUN is one of the best schools and its a great chance for me to experience St. John's for a few years!

Steve, I know orientation starts Aug 25th, but I have an important wedding to attend in PEI on the 28th (the Saturday). I'm hoping to fly out Friday night or Sat morning, and back Sunday night. (Here comes the important question...) Will I be missing your toga party? :eek And really important things?

Guest climberchick

Congrats Ticket!!!!

I agree that MUN is a top school. I currently spend a lot of time is a large Ontario city Hospital, and three of the anethsitists are MUN graduates!!! two of which are affiliated with the local medschool, ie... they teach the stuff.

Just in case there was any doubt, the other great thing about MUN is the small class size! and after spending years with 200+ students in my classes, small class sizes are very intriging :)

Maybe I'll see ya around "town" next year,

~climber

Guest stevetilley

Ticket,

Good chioce, I'm sure you'll like MUN!

Too bad your schedule conflicts friday and saturday night, usually they are the two best nights of orientation. I was hoping to have to toga on the last night of orientation (a la grand finale), so it'd likely be saturday :(

But that's 4 months away, so who knows what'll happen between now and then... also, there'll be lots more parties don't you worry!!

Cheers,

Steve

Guest Ticket

Well steve,

Don't go changing any big plans on my account. I'm sure I'll have a chance to make up for in the future four years! Maybe I'll fly out Sat morning for the wedding - that way I only miss on night of partying!

physiology, I was accepted to Dalhousie and Calgary as well. I would have been happy to attend either of those schools. But after weighing out the pros and cons, I think MUN and its curriculum will fit me much better. And at the clinic I work at now here in Ontario, all the doctors praise MUN and their graduates!

See some of you in August. Anyone know of a nice place to live?!!

Archived