Premed 101 Forums

Worth applying?

Guest FrenchyMed

Guest FrenchyMed

I'm wondering if I would be wasting my time applying.

According to OMSAS, my overall GPA is 3.42. :o

I wrote the MCAT in August so I don't have my scores yet.

I'm from Ontario.

I also realized that I don't have the English requirements.

I need to know if it is worthwhile to go ahead and take 2 English courses this year, given my chances of getting in.

Any thoughts?

Guest jeffsimz

i know many people will say go ahead and apply but I honestly would say save your money....from my understanding, it's really tough to get into memorial as an out of province student...I think there is 2 or 3 spots if you're not a Maritime applicant.....your GPA isn't that high so I would think you won't have a shot....just my opinion....if money is not a problem, go ahead and try but don't expect much.....I would take the english anyway though just for the schools in the states

Jeff

Guest FrenchyMed

How exactely does MUN calculate the GPA? Are all courses counted, even summer and part-time? Are some dropped? What about grad transcript?

Unfortunately, I have taken ZERO English courses. I went to secondary school in Quebec and did an engineering degree in French at Ottawa U. I am 100% bilingual and did a Master's at Mac. I am not considering applying in the US and MUN is the only Canadian university I am considering that has this English requirement.

Dilemma, dilemma...

Well, at least the cost of applying to MUN is much lower than in Ontario!

Guest walkorbike

Hi, FrenchyMed,

I'm not sure about how GPA is calculated, but you can make a telephone appointment with the Admissions Officer and then you can get the straight goods. I did this recently and was told that while academics are important, MUN also considers the whole applicant in terms of your extracurricular activities, etc. and your 'people' skills. I can't advise you about the English courses, but you might love them once you take them and it might be worth it just for that!

• 1 month later...
Guest frankie

FrenchyMed,

What did you find out from the admissions counsellor? Did they tell you that it is worth applying with a lower GPA? Will they look at all your courses? I've spent some time in St. John's, and would *love* to attend med school there. However, my GPA from first and second years (eight and nine years ago) is bringing down my overall GPA. No matter how well I'm doing now (3.95), it is impossible to recover that much.

Thanks for relaying the info!

Frankie

Guest MUNMED2006

Hi Frankie,

I'm not positive, but I think that admissions may take your last two years of undergrad into consideration more than your first two years.:)

Archived