Premed 101 Forums

Need Some Advice... Fast!

Guest Matt

I'm heading back to school this fall to boost my gpa, however, I'd like to take courses that would be useful if I choose an alternate career path. The problem is finding a balance of courses that will allow me to gain some useful knowledge while maintaining a high gpa. I'm currently enrolled in some business and psychology courses(for interest). I have a background in biology and economics. I'm planning on taking the mcat in either April or August(depending on my schedule). It's been a good 3 years since I've taken Orgo and a couple since I've taken Biology. Should I audit Orgo or other science courses? Is it sufficient to simply use the review books when I begin my preparation (probably in January)? How do you suppose I should go about organizing myself in such a way as to maintain a high gpa, while scoring well on the mcat next year? Thanks for any input.

Guest bibs74

I would purchase an MCAT review book, and spend a few days judging my ability to learn with just the review book. Some of the books, have MCAT-like quiz questions at the end of certain science topics. Spend some time reviewing the material presented in the book and try the quiz sections, this might give you a better idea of what to do. Some of the good MCAT books are Kaplan (very good), Gold Standard (my personal favourite, although it didn't have section quizes) and Princeton Review, I remember Barrons and ARCO as being weak books. Also, you should keep in mind that MCAT prep. courses are offered through Kaplan, Gold Standard, and they may also be more than adequate in preparing you for the MCAT (if you have the $$$ to blow). I took the Gold Standard course because it had a been a couple of years since I took Orgo., the other intro. sciences required for the MCAT, and I was more than prepared for the science sections.

Also, so far as your course selection, I would pick courses that would be easy to maintain a very high GPA. Remember, the easier the course (as long as it will be recognized by medical school as a real course!) the more time you could committ preparing for the MCAT, gaining more volunteer experience, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about preparing for an alternate career. As long as you have a degree, you should have little problems finding a job in a field related to your interests and, you may be able to upgrade your education at your employers expense.

Good luck.

Guest Ian Wong

You might want to audit those chem courses, particularly if you aren't a strong book learner. However, to get really good at the problem-solving for organic chem, you are going to need to do lots and lots of problems, so going through the practise questions in a review book are probably mandatory for you anyway.

I'm not a good person to ask about having a backup plan, because I didn't when I was applying. In one sense, this can be an asset because you aren't diluting your activities with tasks or jobs for an alternate career, and which probably don't carry as much weight in the med school application process.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived