Premed 101 Forums

Need some suggestions on art electives in UBC

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hello! As some of u guys may already notice, i am making up my schedule for 2nd yr. I am pretty much done the core courses I will have to take. Now, I am figuring out the art electives.

I am interested in Sociology 100 and Religion Studie 100, but I can only take one of these cuz both them are 6 credits. Did anyone take these courses b4? How did you find them? The course description entices me, but sometimes it can be deceiving. Since they are 6 credits courses, I wanna to make sure if they are worth taking.

The other option I can go, is to take Phil 120, and Psycho 102. (both are 3 credits), if I really want to boost my GPA. But I've heard phil 120 is pretty much a useless course. So, I am hesitating to go with this option.

If u know any other interesting art electives in UBC, plz let me know :P

Hi,

There is a 300 level course at UBC, in Family Studies, FMST 316, Human sexuality. It is a very easy course because all the exams are multiple choice, with some one page assignments to write, mainly oppinion based assignments. There are plenty of guest speakers, overall very interesting. There is a prerequisite course FMST 200, but i didn't take it, and it is not needed. I just e mailed the prof and said i don' thave the prereq can i still take the course and he said if i didn't care, he doesn't care. If you read the material, an A should be no problem. And it's a 300 level arts credit.

G'luck!

Guest physiology

From my own personal experience, when you have the mindset that you're in a "basketweaving, GPA booster" type course, your attitude towards the class isn't great to be begin with.

Personally, I took PHIL 125 (with Burkholder) and I took the class for granted and assumed I would get 90%+. In fact, it was my lowest mark in first year. But hmm...everyone told me that I'd get 90% no problem...Guess not!

Anyway, my point is, take a class because you're interested in it, not because it has a reputation of being "easy." Believe me, professors get switched, swapped, go on sabbatical, etc and therefore a once easy course, may not be "easy" anymore with the new prof.

Guest Jazz

Burkholder is definitely famous tho, his phil 120, 125 courses are always packed. He gives online quizzes you can do with your friends at home that counts for a chunk of your grade.

Guest mitchie41

I took Phil 120 and 125 with bukie and they were my lowest marks in second year.

hahahhha.....

He makes his tests to tricky now...and both class averages were Sub-80.

In fact, I think my Chem 205 class average was higher than BOTH of those courses.

So, take courses that you are absolutely interested in. If you wanna do medicine, take some electives related to that like MEDH 400 , PHIL 433A, or IHHS 200

Guest i could do nothing else

hiya,

i really recommend against taking so-called gpa boosters, just because most of these classes are just so dull and leave you unchallenged! one course that i found very very interesting AND useful was IHHS 300 (international health) -- it is also very possible to get a high grade in this course, if you put the effort into it.

good luck! ;)

Guest smooth operater

hey guys! thanx for the advices. I looked into IHHS course, but didn't really consider taking it, cuz i thought it doesn't count as art credits.

I will take IHHS 200. it sounds really interesting. How did you guys find this course? Do u think it will be too difficult for 2nd yr students without much background about health in society? thanx!>:

Guest KatieKat

Hi!

IHHS courses are not for Arts credit as they are offered through the College of Health Disciplines. Neither is MEDH 400 for credit in Arts because it is offered through Medicine. I wonder if they found a new instructor for MEDH 400 this year? Last year students went to class for a week hoping an instructor would show up, but apparently the instructor retired without telling anyone or something strange like that!

The only courses that count for Arts credit are offered through the Faculty of Arts.

Guest PGmed

Have you considered Classical Studies (CLST 301), Medical Terminology. It requires a little bit of studying, as there are weekly quizzes, but the class average is an A. This was one of my highest grades, and I found that this course helped me out in other courses, and I am sure it will be an asset in med school.

Another interesting course was BioMedical Ethics (PHIL 433). This course helped a lot with interviews, but wasn’t my best grade. It is a great course for those who do well on essay assignments.

Archived