Premed 101 Forums

Fail a clerk?

Guest DalHopeful

Guest Ian Wong

It's very uncommon for such a thing to happen, but if it did, you'd either have to re-write the exam, or redo the rotation (it would probably depend on the reason for failing, your previous performance in other rotations, and other individualized things of that nature).

If you had to redo the rotation, there may be an elective time in fourth year that you can sacrifice for that time period so that you don't lose an entire year and graduate one year later.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest Carolyn

It does happen though -- I know of one instance where someone was either failed or given a provisional because of their performance during a two-week part of an 8-week rotation. They had to use some of their elective time to redo the 2weeks - I believe it had more to do with their professional behaviour.

I have also heard of provisional passes due to knowledge -- and thus had to do more during their elective time.

Carolyn

Guest DalHopeful

Ian, in you post you mentioned that you can fail by not passing the test. I was under the impression that when you are doing your clerkships that you are merely evaluated (ie. they have a checklist) by the senior staff member and given a pass/fail mark.

??

Guest UWOMED2005

Depends on what school, and even at each school (at least for UWO) it might depend on the service.

Haven't gone through clerkship yet, so what I know is hearsay. But my understanding is that some services (ie Medicine/Surgery/Family Med/Obs&Gyn) do have a final exam, but it's usually not worth much (ie 20% of the final mark for that block.) On other services there are no exams at all and it's essentially just your supervisor ticking off the fact that you weren't completely incompetent, only as incompetent as a typical 3rd year med student :) (for that level of training - no offence intended towards clerks, I'm going to be one myself in a few months!)

For UWO, what Ian said is mostly true. One clerk told me that as long as you show up everyday on time and aren't a complete meathead, you'll pass. But is just passing all you want to do?

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
Depends on what school, and even at each school (at least for UWO) it might depend on the service.

Haven't gone through clerkship yet, so what I know is hearsay. But my understanding is that some services (ie Medicine/Surgery/Family Med/Obs&Gyn) do have a final exam, but it's usually not worth much (ie 20% of the final mark for that block.) On other services there are no exams at all and it's essentially just your supervisor ticking off the fact that you weren't completely incompetent, only as incompetent as a typical 3rd year med student :) (for that level of training - no offence intended towards clerks, I'm going to be one myself in a few months!)

Hi there,

At U. of Calgary it is not uncommon at all for students to fail certain clerkship rotations. In our year, for example, our Family Med and Pediatrics exams have bungled a few folks. All of our rotations have a final exam and you must pass it in order to successfully complete the rotation. If you don't then you receive a black mark on your transcript, and you must pass it during the re-write that is scheduled just before the MCCQE exams.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 4 months later...

This is very similar to Dal. We have a multiple choice exam for every clerkship rotation, as well as 2 OSCEs during 3rd year. On top of this of course, is the rotation evaluation (tick sheet with comments from your supervising doc). If one fails an MCQ exam or OSCE, there is a day to repeat these in the fall of fourth year. If one fails the rotation eval, I believe each case is considered individually, but, as described above, most end up doing some extra time in that area during their fourth year electives.

• 3 months later...

1) Med student that received pages would in turn page another student to that local (ie. get a page, then page another med student with that local) so that she could go back to sleep (time and time again)

2) Deferring exams for personal reasons and then having to repeat all of clerkship again due to marginal performance in successfully passed rotations and two deferred examinations

3) Failing a big rotation like internal medicine (ie. failing the multiple choice & oral exam, but passing the clinical component)

4) Terrible attendance during a rotation.

These are some of the reasons why medical students could fail.

Archived