Premed 101 Forums

Is this it???

Guest MDmmmsure

Guest bigmac

Hey Lily. I'm in the same boat as you; accepted at both UofC and UofA. I have chosen UofC for purely personal reasons but it was an extremely difficult decision. UofA is a fantastic school and was infact originally my first choice.

In general I would say that UofA provides better possibilities for research. Also, the 4 year program is more condusive to someone who doesn't necessarily know where they want to specialize (ie. summers for research, longer clerkship, etc.). I think the teaching style is a bit more lecture based (which I'm actually more used to and prefer). Lastly, if it matters to you at all, I believe UofA has a better reputation.

Those were all the reasons that I would have chosen UofA but like I said, I chose UofC. Basically, I know some great people who will be attending next year, I have friends and family as well as a place to live in Calgary. I also personally like the city of Calgary (skiing, weather, etc.). Plus I like the idea of being a doc in 3 years (although summers off would be nice :\ ). My reasoning for choosing UofC might not help you but if I could give you any advice it would be to choose a school that is going to fit you (learning style, people, city, etc.). You are going to get a great education wherever you go so you might as well choose the school where you think you'll have the most fun.

D Mac

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest scrubbed

I phoned in this morning and was informed that I was declined.

Best of luck for those who got accepted. Maybe next year.

Guest MedAnxiety

Hey Scrubbed, sorry to hear about your news. Hopefully good news from other schools?

I just called...and getting the voicemail. Ahhhhh! Any other OOP getting calls/have called?

Good luck!

Guest Braveheart

Oh no,

I'm sorry to hear the news Scrubbed. Are you waiting to hear back from anywhere else? I tell you, sometimes those guys don't know what they are missing out on. Keep going and hope it will work out for you somewhere in the end.

Bigmac: great reasons for both UofA and UofC. I completely get where you're coming from. I know more people who are going into UofC than UofA and yes, great people in UofC this year (I know about 8-10 of them I think). I do love the city of Calgary as that is where I've lived my entire life. I was kinda split between the two as well but in the end decided that UofA would be the best fit for my learning style and personal growth.

Guest happy2bme

Way to go with making a firm decision wildrose, it would be a hoot if I got called off the waitlist today... as it is my birthday !

Congratulations to all the accepted and waitlisted UofA applicants, many of you have multiple acceptances fantastic job all around!

So are all the calls done for UofA? Doesn't look like any OOP have posted yet. Maybe I read the posts too quickly so hopefully some more of you get some happy news today!

As for the waitlisted, I feel your pain.....if I have to apply again next year I think I'll try more schools than just UofC but my family is settled here in Cowtown after dragging them all over the West and Minneapolis, I'd hate to have to move yet again as I think for kids stability is important never mind my sanity!

Have a GREAT DAY!

Guest pinkmango2005

Hi!

Does anyone have an inside scoop on whether calls are still going out today? Things seem eerily quiet...

Since you would probably have posted already if you knew...I guess my next questions is...anyone working in a lab somewhere in med sci care to saunter over to the office and ask? Ha ha....please!

Guest MDmmmsure

Hi everyone......

The office is closed from 12-1 (lunch break), but after lunch I will be going to the office to pay my deposit (really want to get that done before giving Calgary and Saskatchewan the bad news-that I will no longer be able to hold my spot on the waiting list:p ).......I will check for you guys then!!!!!

Good Luck!

Joe

Guest pinkmango2005

Thanks Joe! I REALLY appreciate it :) Ha ha..you're not even a doctor yet but I can assure you you've already added a couple years onto my life :)

Guest MDmmmsure

Hi guys....

I went to pay my deposit....and it's a madhouse in that office.....there was three other people waiting there to talk to andrea.....so basically it was like....

secretary:hi

me: hi

secretary: what can I do for you

me: I want to pay my deposit, here.... (hands papers + money)

secretary: thanks......see ya

She wouldn't offer anything up...however, the two admissions ladies were very busy so I assume that calls are still going out....given no out of province has heard, they may be doing these last.....I know a 2/3 year applicant that was waitlisted (she probably went to the office and asked) so it looks like ask and you shall receive....

Right now it's 1:41 here......I would say that if you haven't heard anything.....give them a call (or maybe like in an hour or something)....I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help.....

Joe

Guest pinkmango2005

Hey everyone,

Okay I got tired of waiting and I called (thanks for trying Joe!). The lady that picked up said CALLS ARE STILL GOING OUT and I could try and call Andrea but it might be difficult since she's still calling people! So there's a bit of good news for everyone still waiting :)

Guest MDmmmsure

Ha ha ha.....

I'm glad calls are still going out..........hopefully you guys will hear soon......and I can visually attest to the busyness of Andrea.....fingers are crossed for you guys....

pinkmango2005....sorry I couldn't get the inside scoop for ya....hopefully those years added will remain:p

Guest Jenuine

Hey Joe,

The 2/3 year applicant you know that was waitlisted...did admissions straight out tell them they were waitlisted? I went there yesterday, and I was told that my file status was uncertain....I don't know if that means I'm waitlisted. On the other hand, I know of some people who went to admissions today, and were told that they wouldn't be getting an offer.

Guest MDmmmsure

Hi....

The way she said it, it sounded like she was straight out told she was waitlisted.....her words:

"I found out yesterday that I was waitlisted!"

Hope that helps.....good luck

Joe

Archived