Premed 101 Forums

Sunny Hill/Children's Hospital Experience

Guest kanayo101

Guest kanayo101

Has anybody had any experience volunteering at the Sunny Hill Centre or at Children/Women's hospital? Thoughts? Is the experience pretty much the same as volunteering at other health centres, doing things like wayfinding, gift shops, library organizing etc?

Thanks!

Guest Miller

Actually, I am currently coordinating a research project at the Women's and Children's Hospital in Vancouver and we are recruiting volunteers right now. It's probably one of the best positions in terms of fun and responsibility. We are going to the sunshine coast for two days in June to administer questionnaires to two elementary schools to determine eating habits and activity levels. If you are looking for some volunteer experience leave an email address and I'll send you some more info.

Guest physiology

Hello Kanayo,

Currently I volunteer at Children's Hospital. Depending on what you want, yes, you could work outside selling popcorn, or in the gift shop. However, you can also work up in the wards.

Personally, I volunteer with the kids in pediatric oncology. Essentially, I play with the kids and keep them company. Sometimes, a doctor or nurse will come in to check up on the kids and usually I get to stay and hold the kid's hand as he gets his blood drawn, or they discuss his cell counts for the day, etc. That's a nice treat (for the volunteer!!!) but it's rare.

The playroom is an awesome place. They have myriad games and activities to do. Sometimes, finding a kid to play with can be awkward. Many times, the kids feel weak, nauseous, sick, etc, and are unwilling to do anything. Parents are also VERY nice to you because they can dart out and get a quick bite to eat, smoke, get errands done, (ie get a break from their kid) :)

Anyway, hope that helps.

Guest Dunes

hi Miller,

I am very interested in becoming a volunteer and I sent you an e-mail to your Ez. inbox..

Let me know if you got it or not,

thanks,

Dunes :)

Guest vhung

Wow Physiology! That sounds amazing! I'm actually really interested in Pediatric Oncology and wish that I knew about the opportunity before. As for myself, I currently volunteer at Sunny Hill in the Recreation Program. We do similar activites with children, which are led by a therapist. These usually include things as: baking, arts & crafts, outings, aromatherapy, etc. There is also a swim program that allows volunteers to go into the heated pool with children. This is supposed to help alleviate tension and improve mobility for the children. This really is an awarding experience! I know that there are other programs at Sunny Hill, but unfortunately, I am not so familiar with them. If you have a strong interest, I highly recommend it, just call them and ask to speak with the Volunteer Coordinator. She is great and will be able to tell you more.

Guest kanayo101

Thanks for all of the info. (I sent you a PM, Miller).

I was looking at Sunny Hill/Children's because I wanted something different...I have been a volunteer at Royal Columbian for the past two years, participating in the triage/emergency program (really good pre-med experience, I recommend it!), speaking at information sessions, training new volunteers and helping out at special events.

What other sorts of volunteering (in the lower mainland) have people here done?

Guest kodackmoment

Hello,

I too volunteered at Children's for several years, in the ER as well as neurology/surgery. My experiences are basically the same as those described by 'physiology' :-) It is quite possible to by-pass the 'gift-shop' style volunteering (if you wish to) if you express your interest in pursuing medicine, having patient contact, and demonstrating maturity (ie. basically if you are out of highschool and into your uni life, you'll be fine) :-) The only choker is that children's has a long waiting list, although you can get in faster if you continually call to see if there are any openings.

As for alternative volunteering sites, some interesting places that I know other medical students have volunteered have been canuck place hospice, riverview hospital (if you have a particular interst in psychiatry), kidney foundation and the canadian cancer society, off the top of my head :-)

Best of luck, I have no doubt that anyone that actively pursues to get an "exciting" volunteer position, shall succeed.

Guest kanayo101

I know it sounds pretty shallow (well, really shallow) but I don't think I'd volunteer emergency @ children's. I do emerg/triage at RCH and the worst is mom's who come in yelling and screaming for their child to get seen right at that moment. first they don't give you the time of day because your "just a kid" and then they don't respond to any help you try to give them like ice for swelling or gauze for bleeding. i know what its like to have a sick or injured kid, they're probably more scared than anyone but parents just make the situation worse. wouldn't you agree??

ps - what would you do in neurology/surgery?

Guest kodackmoment

Wow, it sounds like you and I have had quite different experiences in the ER. Mine have mostly been positive. I've been left alone with babies, todlers, and older kids simply to give parents a bathroom or food break. I think also, over time, you begin to pick up cues from people as to what parent might be receptive to a volunteer and who may not.

I've also never seen frantic parents running in with crazy/urgent requests. Everything is quite streamlined, and so far everyone has been curteous. What I do if I'm not in a room with a child is go around the ward/waiting room offering magazines/books/toys to anyone who may be bored of waiting. Also, I've never been dismissed as a "little kid" or treated like i was in the way. Some people are as you explained, very stressed, they usually just tell me (most of them very nicely) that they aren't interested in what i have to offer :-/

As for neurology/surgery. Most of the time i spend in the room where the EEG machine is hooked up to a pt. This is cause those patients can't leave the room as they are continuously being monitored for their EEGs. So i usually play a game of chess, or guess who, or help them with their homework, cause kids in hospitals actually get homework if they are well enough . .. that was a surprise to me, once in a while i'll sit through a medical procedure or a doctor-family discussion(if the parents are ok with it, or if the child needs distraction). The scariest thing that's happened to me in neuro is being alone with an epileptic patient, and them having a lengthy seizure. In surgery, I have to give priority to pt's who are in traction, or are otherwise imobalized . . . since they are the ones who get very bored, and are eager to have someone keep them company.

These are just a glimpse of my experiences. I'm sure everyone has their own colorful ones :-)

Best of luck with your decision, let us know what you choose to spend time on.

Cheers!

Guest kanayo101

kodackmoment,

you've had some pretty neat experiences. My job in emerg is a bit different. The stuff that you get to do directly with patients is what our TLC volunteers do. In my job, I am responsible for 'intercepting' everybody who walks in the door. I make sure they are in the right department and make sure they don't bombard the triage nurse. I get to chit chat with patients waiting to be triaged and those waiting to be taken in (our average wait is 25 hours after all...) and I help the triage nurse when she needs it. I also have to keep an eye out for patients that may be having a heart attack, severe discomfort or family of trauma victims and stuff along that line.

It may sound run of the mill but it gets really crazy when we get backed up. It is not uncommon for us to have an hour wait just to be triaged and the ambulances are often redirected from coming to the hospital. full moons don't help. sometimes it really does feel like the tv show ER (admit it, you know all premeds watch it!) and even a 4 hour shift can feel like an eternity.

most people who come into the department are very pleasant to deal with and have really cool stories to tell (i met a lady who literally had 3 strokes in one weekend, a man who told me the stories of how people in vancouver were murdered...really...and a wacko women would swore she was poisoned with anthrax) but there are those few that expect to be treated like royalty. however, you also get to see a lot of different illnesses and people from all walks of life. its amazing how differently people cope. its also a treat when the triage nurse gives you medical tidbits!

all in all, don't get me wrong. i wouldn't change my job!! in fact, I plug it as much as possible to new volunteers at information sessions (can you tell?). i suggest the late shift if you really want to see crazy people :lol

Guest kodackmoment

Kayano101,

Those definitely sound like diverse experiences. Unfortunately I'm very limited in that most of the patients I've seen are children. I would like to build as broad an experience base as yours to draw from.

PS I'll keep the late night tip in mind hehehehe :-)

Guest physiology
the tv show ER (admit it, you know all premeds watch it!)

Hey Kanayo,

I watched a bit of it last night for the FIRST time. Too much melodrama!

Guest kanayo101

okay bad choice or words...many premeds watch it! and yes, its gotten pretty @#%$ these days, the west wing is a better show!

Guest Biochem3010

ER is too sappy dramatic or fake. Watched it once & never again. Though Scrubs is much more better & portrays med student life more better with humour.... :lol

If you are talking about the TLC ER, now that's the stuff where you get to remove bullets & knives stuck in a person's head & so on... or more realistic.....

Guest kanayo101

there used to be a show on one of the cable channels that followed canadian med students through clerkship...pretty interesting

Guest Miller

Hi Kelly

Your inbox is disabled for some reason. Email me at prosxtran@hotmail.com if you want to contact me about the study. FYI: we are training volunteers over the next three days only so if you want on board please let me know today if possible.

Thanks, hope to hear from you.

Archived