Premed 101 Forums

How I got into UBC Med with a 74% average

Guest davidubc

Guest davidubc

All my life I have wanted to be a doctor but until I got to UBC people told me I wouldn't be able to do it.

I have done 6 years of full time undergrad. 4 years at Queen's and 2 at UBC.

My overall average is 74%. My last 60 credits is 82%.

I think my prereq. is 70%.

My MCAT is 9/8/10

I got into the island site and I'm waitlisted for Vancouver.

So how did I get in?

#1) I prepared for two months for the interview including video taping and talking to residents.

#2) At UBC I did a ton of research, published a paper, and got 98% on my directed studies.

#3) My references asked me if they could write me a letter not the other way around. So establishing meaningful relationships was key. Only at UBC can you call your profs by their first name and go to their BBQ's!

#4) I spent a year after Queen's working in a hospital in Africa. Best experience of my life and I actually had something to talk about at the interview.

#5) I read a TON of books over the past 10 years on Ethics and medicine. I talked a lot about Scott Peck and the learning of dying etc. which the interviewers seemed to like.

#6) At Queen’s I was on the track team, managed a bar, volunteered at a hospital, was a campus first aid responder, I founded the Queen’s competitive mountain bike team

I guess UBC isn’t just about marks.

Anyway, I still remember all the questions and my answers if anyone wants help for next March!

Just remember it's not what you say it's how you say it.

Guest physiology

Hello Davidubc,

That's a fantastic story! Very touched indeed. So was the VFMP your first choice?

I'm amazed by your persistence, perseverance, and patience with the process.

I did not tape myself or talk to residents, but I tell myself I've been preparing for that interview my entire life. I drew upon all aspects of my community service and asked myself questions late at night, while trying to sleep (lotsa sleepless nights as a result). I just tried to answer hypothetical/theoretical questions whenever I could. Although I never memorized any answers, I think this helped me out significantly.

I'm happy that UBC looks at the whole picture and doesn't just use our academic/non academic scores as their measuring stick.

Good job again!

Guest davidubc

Thanks a lot! It is pretty amazing what you can do if you want something badly enough.

Good call on not memorizing answers. I think just knowing where you stand is pretty key. This may sound strange but because I WAY over prepared for the interview I slept for 9 hours the night before my interview (and only five hours last night waiting for that darn envelope!) I guess I just knew that since I didn’t have the grades it was going to come down to the interview.

Guest notamedic

Hey davidubc,

That's a really cool story and I'm in much the same boat that you were.

Could I have your contact information? (e-mail)

......I'm not sure how to send messages over this board!

Guest McCarey007

Wow davidubc, that's great stuff!

I think with your last 60 credits and your research, you showed that you can definitely achieve academic excellence. 82% and a (first author?) paper is no easy feat. You also sound like you have the leadership and maturity that all med schools are looking for!

Congratulations! :)

Guest Kinase0

davidubc,

It is interesting that I have to find out that you got into the IMP from this site - call me as I want to wish you congrats in person. BTW this is your additional study partner! :) Cheers. Have you told Dr. M yet?

Guest sparkle

Congrats davidubc!! You really show that perseverance pays off and that you should never let anyone stop you from achieving your dreams!!! That was some pretty intensive prep you did...good for you! I guess that's where I went wrong and totally didn't know how to work it at the interview....got rejected. Did you mind if I emailed you too for some much-needed advice?

Guest davidubc

Hey Sparkle,

I had tons of help with my interview questions. I didn't memorize answers but I did learn how to frame my answers so I didn't come across the wrong way. Please e-mail me. I would love to help you in anyway I can!

Guest davidubc

So the vanity plate for the motor cycle is making an early appearance!

Ya so IMP! I was in such a rush to phone everyone (including you) yesterday that I didn't read my whole letter! We definitely need to meet up for some celebration. I leave next Thursday so it will have to be before then.

Dr.M is really excited to be teaching us again and of course he wants to get a beer with us too (as always :o ).

Guest kakashifan

could i ask if this was your first application to med school?

did you apply to other places?

thanks for sharing... sure gives me hope!

Guest davidubc

Thanks a lot!

This is the second time I applied to UBC. Last year I missed the interview cut off by one point.

I also applied to schools in Ireland. I was accepted at the University College of Cork. I actually have a few friends who go there and they love it. I paid $5000 Can for the deposit and I would have gone if I did not get into UBC.

Guest flowers

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE STORY! getting into med really needs passion, its just not like any other profession - which i guess is why this forum is such a great thing - you, davidubc have re-sparked my initiation to apply to ubc this year for the 2005 starting class! seriously, your story is inspiring, cause my values are not too far off from yours.

Thanks David for your honesty. I've been so bummed by the thin-envelop that i didn't feel like posting anything. Your post helps me re-evaluate my situation. I did exceptionally well on the interview and extra curric, so i thought it's the academic performance that held me back, but your post made me reconsider. Maybe i'm not as wellrounded as i thought i was.

Can anyone show me how to send pm's? I'm kinda computer-illiterate.

Congrats to Physio, Kirsteen, Soapy... and all others. Geeze, I guess i'm the only one left in the martini club. :\ Cheers...

tea.

Guest Ian Wong

Hey tea,

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. :( It's a huge bummer, and if it's any consolation, getting rejected from a med school isn't any reflection at all on your suitability to be a physician. There just aren't enough seats for all the qualified people out there. If it's any consolation, probably nearly half my class had to apply multiple times before getting accepted, and they're all going to be wonderful doctors. Chin up! Your time will come too! :)

Ian

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there tea,

Congrats to Physio, Kirsteen, Soapy... and all others. Geeze, I guess i'm the only one left in the martini club.
I don't know that it will make you feel any better, but I didn't receive a first-round offer, tea. Onwards and upwards though! If you're aiming to apply again this coming cycle, try to garner as much information as possible from this past year's application experience and spend a swath of time looking for ways to buff your application for next year. Additionally, take a heck of a lot of solace in the fact that you received an interview. That's a feat in itself. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks Ian, Kirsteen for your kind words and encouragements. I'll definitely send in another application this year. I have my advising session this thursday. I'll keep you posted.

Archived