Premed 101 Forums

Rewriting my essay

Guest Me

Can anyone give me some advice on this? I got an interview at U of A, but no acceptance, and I am reapplying for next year. Do you think that I should write a new essay for them even if I received an interview with the old one? Or should I just revamp the old one? Thanks for you advice!

Guest summervirus

You can go with either choice: rewriting or sticking to your present essay.

I applied to the University of Alberta last year and received an interview. When I reapplied this year, I submitted the identical essay and I was offered admission. So, there's no harm in reusing your essay as long as it wasn't a weak part of your application.

Conversely, I know of an applicant that applied to the University of Alberta three times. Each time, he submitted a different essay. He would completely rewrite an essay from scratch each year. He was offered admission last year.

My advice is this. I think you should approach a few people (such as some friends or professors) and ask them to read over your essay and to offer you some feedback. If you are given the impression that your essay needs to be redone, then you should look into rewriting it. If, however, they suggest that it's fine, you may want to stick with your present essay.

summervirus, you are currently enrolled at the U of A med program? If you are, I would love to email you with some specific questions of your second application and all of that stuff. I'm feeling a little lost, and it seems that you were in my position not too long ago! I would really appreciate it. My email address is melkink@hotmail.com, if you have a little bit of time. Thanks!

Guest shkelo

The selection for interviews is based on three components of your application: MCAT scores, pre-req and cumulative GPAs. Your essay score is not factored into whether or not you receive an interview.

Summervirus has the right idea (congrats, BTW, on your acceptance!!). Ask a few friends for feedback. Tell them what you hope to accomplish with the essay and if you've accomplished that goal. Just a note on the essay itself, the "experience" you write about is unimportant. The main focus is on how the experience affected you and how you have changed for the better. If you have those components, then read your essay for "flow". You can always refine your essay, so I don't think it is necessary to rewrite a new one.

I have heard about applicants that fabricate an experience that isn't true to make themselves look like they have suffered more greatly. Seems a little two-faced to me, especially when they're applying to a profession that upholds such high ethical standards in the first place. Don't fib.

Thanks shkelo! i hear you on the fibbing thing! Nothing overly disasterous has happened in my life, so I wrote on something much more personal and unique. I actually really like my essay, so I'll maybe just shine it up a bit and resubmit it. Thanks to both of your responses!

Guest summervirus

I completely agree with shkelo. Honesty is the best policy. :D

I spoke with a few faculty members at the University of Calgary last year that have served on the admissions committee in the past. They advised me to be as honest as possible. The essay topic at the UofC is similar to the admissions essay at the University of Alberta.

Apparently, at the UofC, I was told that they are looking for specific qualities in the essays. (I assume that the selection criteria is similar at the UofA). The focus is not so much on the topic of the essay, but rather on how the applicant is able to present him/herself.

They will read the essays and ask questions such as, "Is this applicant resourceful?" "Can he/she cope with stress?" "What does he/she reveal about his/her problem solving and analytical skills?" ... stuff like that. :)

An example of an appropriate essay topic that one professor gave me is to discuss your fear of public speaking and how you worked to overcome it. He emphasized that it does not have to be profound as long as it is able to demonstrate your strengths.

(By the way, yes, I will be attending the UofA next year. I officially gave up my spot at Queen's today. And, thanks, shkelo)!

I hope this helps. I'll send you an e-mail later today, Me. :D

Archived