Premed 101 Forums

I got in!!!!!

Guest kernelhoover

Guest Jas001

I got in as well, should have checked my messages on Friday because thats when they called. But, UofA is not my first choice. Hopefully UBC and Western work out. Anybody else going to western (and other schools in ontario) this weekend?

jas

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blacko

tugg! I'm in the same position. I applied to UofA and had 4 interviews (4th time lucky!!) and finally got accepted. Unfortunately, I have to take a 1 year deferral so I can't start until 2004. But who cares if your in your in!!!

Tell me something. Is Canada one of the hardest places in the world to get into medical school? The US seems much easier.

Guest summervirus

I asked around. It turns out that only 64 offers for admission were made. There are still 36 seats left for fourth year (+) applicants that are unfilled. :) (I'm guessing that those candidates are the ones that find out in June/July after your final transcripts for this semester are received).

Guest drews97

Hey Summervirus,

Thanks for the info, there is still hope of getting accepted!! Do you think that if they are indeed waiting for our transcripts for this semester and we are in fourth year, they will use our 4th year as a full year in determining GPA and drop our lowest year as they would do if we had already completed our 4th year?? Thanks.

Guest aguinar

Summervirus, I was wondering if you knew if our current year's GPA counts towards this year's application, even if they don't get rid of our lowest year. ie: do I have to keep studying so much??! Also, did all of the 64 people offered early admission accept??

Guest summervirus

aguinar: I don't really know. I think EB has a better idea. I'm guessing that if you've been accepted, you still have to maintain an overall GPA of 7 (i.e. 3.0 on a 4.0 scale). BUT, please check with the admissions office if you want the most accurate information!

I don't know if everyone that got an offer accepted. But, I think that some people are going to be holding on to their spots for now as a backup... at least until some of the other schools (like the Eastern ones) release their admission results. It's pretty unlikely to have everyone accept the admission offer though...

wannabedoc: I'm actually not sure if any OOP seats were offered yet. But, don't forget that the 15 OOP quota also includes the 2nd/3rd year students, who haven't even been interviewed yet! :)

Guest forrest

I can personally say that I accepted my spot for now, but if I get into U of C, I will be giving up my spot (but U of C acceptances don't go out until mid-May, so there is just more waiting - sorry).

Cheers

i also accepted, but am not sure what will happen if i get into dal or western.... almost hope i don't have to make such a big decision because i am very torn at this point.

Guest aimshigh

Hey Summervirus,

Do you happen to know if any of the remaining spots will be filled by applicants who have already completed their fourth year? Or are the final 36 spots reserved specifically for those set to complete their degree in April?

Thanks for the info!:)

Guest drews97

Hi Summer,

I'm a little confused by your last post. Weren't we all interviewed during reading break (with the exception of the people yet to be interviewed)?

Guest blacko

summervirus:

I have a question: you mentioned that only 64 positions were filled do you know how many they interviewed during reading week? I'm curious because when I went for my interview one of the med students said that they were only interviewing 200 or so at that time so the chances of getting in were pretty good.

I did get in so I guess he was right about the chances!

thanks

Guest summervirus

drews97: Yeah, what I meant was that the people interviewed during reading week includes people who are completing their degrees this year, master degree students, and PhD students. It was in response to aimshigh's question.

blacko: Yeah, I actually wrote about it in the FAQ. Around 200 people were interviewed.

Guest kooty

Hi Jas,

why do you chose western/UBC over uofa? I'm just wondering because i applied to those places as well, and it's just nice to have another person's opinion. Is it because of cost? And how did your interviews go for all of the schools?

Kooty>:

Guest kellyl20

UA is the cheapest, Western is the most expensive, UBC can be cheaper than UA if it is your home town and you are living at home. Western is in the snow belt so it would be on par with UA although the cold would be a damp cold instead. Western is closer to Toronto. Best weather in Vancouver. Health services in BC seems to be in decline. So Jas, what are your reasons?

i would disagree with the weather in london (western) being on par with edmonton. i have lived in edmonton for four years and grew up in southern ontario and therefore know both types of winters. with the exception of this year, the weather is MUCH better in ontario, less sun, but MUCH warmer and an equivalent amount of snow falls in both places. western is a beautiful university, but a lot more expensive..... although i have no idea why jas would prefer ubc or western, but for me, it's just a feeling of where you feel you fit in best. i don't know if anyone can really explain that feeling or why they feel that way.

Guest kellyl20

Sorry I shouldn't generalize the weather. Ontario winter was very bad two years ago and was very bad this past winter with damp cold while Edmonton is a dry cold but also very very cold this winter.

You probably do not know where you will fit in best till you are actually there. Class dynamics differ from year to year depending on the makeup of the student population. Probably some grain of truth to the school reputations floating around.

Guest Jas001

Hey kooty,

Personally, class dynamic matters alot to me. After interviewing at UBC after 3rd year and again this year, I really got the feeling that the class sticks together. At their wine and cheese info session, they had almost half their class show up to answer questions (totally voluntary). Their program is alot more hands on as well. More PBL, family practice everyweek and less lecture. Kinda fits my learning style. Western is much the same. Most of the students who go to western are not from london. The class is very close because almost everybody's away from home. You can't say that about the UofA. After going to the UofA for almost 4 years now, and seeing alot of my friends in med at UofA, you tend to hear the negative stuff. There is negative stuff at every school, but I really didn't like what I heard. Nobody at the UofA can deny that the admissions process is based almost entirely on marks. If you have high enough marks all you really have to do is pass the interview and you'll get in. Typically, you get a different kinda student at a UofA med school than at UBC, for example.

anyways, thats my two cents.

jas

hey jas001

i have the same concerns about u of a as you do, which makes it really hard to decide where i will go if i get in somewhere else too. i have also been at u of a for four years and have noticed the same thing ( people tend to stick to their groups), even outside of med school. but i think the dynamics of the class may vary depending on who is in the class.... i guess you never know.

Guest Jas001

sorry kooty,

I didn't answer all your questions. My interviews went really well (thats what i thought, which really means nothing). I just flew back from Ontario yesterday thats why i didn't reply for awhile. Some schools suprised me with how good they were (like UBC, Western, UofT which I didn't hear good things about) and others were a bit disappointing (UofO even though they place number one for carms every year, Queen's clincally at least). But all in all, you're gonna get the same education anywhere. But, the opportunities you have in med school is different everywhere.

There are other factors in my decision, don't get me wrong. Like i said, the class and the program are number one for me. Also living in Van would be awesome (i grew up in BC, but no where close to Van). So there is some stuff like that. London is really close to Toronto, and even london's a great place to party. The city's got a small university town feel to it and thats really nice.

I could sit here for days listing all my reason, but in the end its where I would enjoy going to med school.

jas

Archived