Premed 101 Forums

I got in!!!!!

Guest kernelhoover

Jas001

I have no idea to what extent that statment about marks is true, but Im really hoping that it is, my marks are very high for a 4th year student, my MCAT was not bad, and i thought my interview went quite well I thought.......and yet no call.

I have no idea what's going on. I interviewed at UA last year and I when i walked out of the interview the second time I was convinced that it went much better than last year.........

Take it easy,

HA

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

marks do count for a lot at u of a... but everyone that had an interview this year had high marks (since they only interviewed 200 people). and don't forget about the essay and the letters of reference. last year i had an interview (i have the exact same marks with this application because i was in a master's program) and i didn't get in (very close though), but then this year i got in, so it REALLY depends on everything in your file. when i spoke to marlene about why i didn't get in, she said sometimes .1% separates those who get in and are waitlisted and those who aren't. anyway, hang in there, i am sure it will all work out.

Guest kooty

Hi Jas, (and everyone else)

You're right about UBC, that's the great thing about it. Family practice and doctor shadowing is implemented right away.....I really look forward to it. UA really does seem bias to marks, particularly if you are out of province. I know UBC is strict on out of province applicants too, but at least it's the whole package (ref letters, extracurrics, etc) that they judge.

I really didn't know that much about UA med school, so I appreciate all of your comments on class dynamics-it's important to me as well. The sense of unity a class shares is really special and it can totally make your time in school that much better. I've heard only good things about UBC.

My only question is....you LIKE PBL? I'm in pharmacy at UBC and we also do PBL. Have you done it before? I find it very tedious and an inefficient way of learning material. The only thing I really like about PBL is the group discussions...I like hearing what others have to say and working with them to develop a solution. It's a trade off, I guess. I'd rather learn the basics first, then problem solve, not do research blindly and problem solve at the same time. Maybe it's different in med school.......................

Guest kellyl20

Jas001: when you say that

"admissions proccess is based almost entirely on marks. If you have high enough marks all you really have to do is pass the interview and you'll get in. Typically, you get a different kinda student at a U of A med school than at UBC...."

do you mean to say that at UBC marks do not count for much in admissions since one had to pass the interview at both UA and UBC to be accepted into their med program.

Could you also expand a little on "Queen's clinically at least".

Thank you for answering. I also heard that London is a great place to party.:)

Kelly.

Guest kellyl20

UA is biased towards applicants with excellent academics? Wonder if this is the reason their Med2002 ranked 2nd overall in the LMCC.;)

Class dynamics...perhaps Summervirus can tell us a bit more about this at UA.

Guest kooty

Hi Kelly,

UBC does look at your grades. They are worth 50% of your pre-interview score. 12.5 points for overall averag, 12.5 points for last 60 credits average. the other 25 points comes from a variety of qualities that they look at (high level of achievement, diversity of experience, and such) I dont' know what the breakdown is for UA. There are some really great discussions in the UBC forum about the breakdown for UBC. Oh, and the minimum to apply to UBC is 70% average, whereas UA is quite a bit higher (8.0 for oop, and I don't know what for UA) Hope that helps!

Guest Jas001

If you look at the stats published by both UofA and UBC you can see a big difference in GPA. Students accepted at UBC are older (average age of 24) and their mean GPA tends to be in the 80% range (A- average, about 8) whereas at UofA the prereq and cumulative GPA mean is 8.5. Thats a huge difference. UofA didn't publish age stats but you can tell that the large majority are 4th years (around 21 or 22). The big thing for me is that UBC looks at who you are alot more than UofA. Extracuriculars are just as important as your marks and thats why I think you get such a good class. I also think an older class makes a huge difference (i'm 21, but i wanna be in that environment)

Kooty, I've never done PBL so it will be a new experience. But, I learn nothing in lecture style classes. All i do i just copy notes and then learn them later so thats why i think i'd learn a little bit more from PBL.

Kelly, as for the marks thing at the UofA, the difference is huge. The next statement I make doesn't apply for 2/3 year applicants, but mainly for 4th years. If you have high marks (like 8.75 and above + good mcat, and HA i have a good feeling you'll get in) getting in is very easy. At UBC, if you don't meet a cutoff for extracuriculars, you don't get an interview. No matter how high your marks are you still need a solid life outside of school (and its extremely tough to score well on the extracuricular stuff).

To give you a little perspective (i applied as a 3rd year last year at UBC), i scored in the 99% percentile for last 60 credits, overall average and prereq gpa and didn't even come close to getting in (but they only accept 3 third years). I had a really good extracuricular score too. This year i'm just as scared. Its soooooo tough to get in there (if only i could magically become 24, maybe that would help, but then i woudln't like clubbing either;) )

The last thing about getting into UBC is that you just don't get a score for each part of your application (ie. marks, interview etc) which is added up to determine whether you get in. All the interviewers sit around a table at the same time with all the interviewee's applications and then they do a file review to determine whether you get in. They look at you as a complete person, not the sum of parts. When comparing this to the UofA, your grades, essay and references are in your hands (and for some people who are really smart they can get maximum scores on these parts of their application). They'll be soooo far ahead of the average applicant, all they have to do is pass the interview and they'll get in. Thats what I meant.

Oh yeah, as for Queens clincally. Since Queens is a tiny town (and boring, compared to London...heh, i've got friends there) they don't have lots of hospitals and a huge patient base. That didn't appeal to me. At western they have a number of hospitals and they serve all of southwestern ontario (they have three different hospitals and the children's hospital of western ontario) But, the class and program are really good at Queens.

Anyways, that took me almost 50 minutes to write (along with the research i did).

Thats my 37 cents.

peace

jas

Hi everyone,

I find it kinda frustrating that everyone who knows me (and my marks) keeps telling me Im going to get in at UA.......but somehow Im not entirely convinced. Having people ask if you've been accepted all the time is almost more stressful than waiting for the results!! >: >: Here's my stats: Prereq: 9.0, Overall: 8.9, MCAT: 34R. Im a 4th year applicant, and a student at UA in an Honors program.

Like I said before, I thought my interview went quite well......but go figure. I guess the interviewee is probably one of the worst judges of how the interview actually turned out. Near the end of my interview the physician who was on the panel left the room to take a call she had been putting off during the interview.....her beeper had gone off and she left as it was my turn to ask questions.

Anyway, the bit about UA not having such a dynamic class, I can definitely see that just from attending class with many of these people for 4 years. But I gotta admit that if I get in this year it will be because of my marks and not because of my extracurriculars......I hope Im not jinxing myself. :(

Guest drews97

Well, people have been telling me the same thing. With your stats I'm really surprised you didn't get in earlier...there may not be much hope for me!!! Just keep the faith, don't get overconfident and hope for the best, I'm sure it will all work out. If you're like me I'm sure you have other interviews as well so we still have a chance at the U of A and we won't here from any of the other schools for a while. Even if we don't get in to U of A right away we still stand a good chance of getting on the waiting list since they didn't interview too many people!! Good luck!

Believe me Im not overconfident!

Im starting to worry that I wrote a horrible essay, or that one of my references didnt fill out their forms properly or didnt write the letter in an appropriate format.........this happened to me when I applied for summer research funding for this year.

Anyways, keep your fingers crossed I guess!

Good luck

Guest Petra

I thought u of a was all about marks, but then I got in!! I had OK marks by u of a standards but nothing great (8.1,8.1,33). I'd say my EC were good, but not great (UBC KILLED me on them). I did honors, but I guess that doesnt matter yet. I did feel the interview was my stong point (although by the end too I kind of felt like that guy on trainspotting who took speed before his interview - - i felt as if i might have been talking a million miles an hour). Anyways, it seems really hard to predict who will get in, but anyways, remember that they still have to give out quite a few spot, and I know great candidates (with EXCELLENT marks) who didnt find out until the summer as well from previous years.

Good Luck!!

Guest kellyl20

HA: Class dynamics in my faculty at UBC undergraduate is not so great either. In fact, that person I know who got into UBC med2006 is a not so nice person at all. But you are going to get that, including cliques, probably no matter where you go. I perfer to think of that being due to people's comfort level rather than exclusion.:D

Guest kooty

Just to Elaborate on what Jas said, it really isn't easy getting into UBC, praticularly where extracurrics are concerned. For your enlightenment, I've pasted a post below from the UBC forum....this person got 24/25 on extracurriculars, a very very very rare score.....and STILL did not get into UBC....

EzCode Parsing Error: face=courier color=blue]Hi guys,

Here is the layout of what I had 2 years ago.

I scored 5/5 on everything but the high performance, and diversity where I scored 4/5. Had and extra .5 for hardship and extra mark for outstanding reference letter.

Swam nationals not Olympics when I was younger. Competed at national level for lifeguard stuff although those were both 15 years ago.

Paramedic X15 years and equal number of years doing volunteer stuff at daycares/schools etc with the ambulance. Mother of 2, Run my own business, Masters student

10 years of collecting used jackets which paramedics keep in the ambulance for the homeless.

Involved in policy committee's at the university. Traveled around the world twice by the time I was 11. Many other trips since.

Coordinator(one of three) of the Advanced Trauma Life Support course all docs must take.

TA first and second year med class

sports - rec leagues, city leagues, co-ed leagues

Basically I had to write my form out on the computer in 9pt then cut and paste it into the form as I had so much stuff. All of it from a variety of areas.

Ok, so that does seem to be a rare exceptional individual...so why didn't they get in? Only adcom will know that. But looking at this person...how the hell are normal people like us going to get in?

this person's resume is very impressive.... however, even though ubc looks at ECs as being very important, i imagine there is a lot more to the process of getting in. ECs only count for a total of 25% of your overall ranking, and since the interview is worth 50%, someone who does not have good people skills or doesn't click with their interview panel may not get in.... same for u of a. i do think marks play a strong role in actually getting an interview, BUT 45% of the overall total is based on essay, ref letters, and the interview, which are all evaluated very subjectively. so, in the end i think getting into ANY canadian med school takes a lot of hard work, but even more importantly, a lot of luck. that's just my opinion, however.

Guest summervirus

I just want to make a comment about class dynamics.

Class dynamics change year to year, depending on the population. Some classes are more energetic, some less. (The second year class is nicknamed the "Fun but Dumb Class" by the Faculty). Nevertheless, from my own personal experiences and impressions of others, I think that the med students from all four years here get along very well. Everyone is nice. There are plenty of times when we do things as a class outside of school. :)

Besides, a class's GPA is not a measure of its dynamics. Regardless of how the admissions committee of a school prefers to evaluate its applicants--whether it be based heavily on marks, extracurriculars, interview, etc.--in the end, they're specifically concerned about choosing applicants that they think are (1) willing to complete the program and (2) able to complete the program. I think that every school in Canada is successful at doing that.

It's kind of hard for me to describe my class. But, you're welcome to take a look at our class homepage. There's a link at the top to "photos." There are lots of pictures of us partying and having fun. :D

Guest kellyl20

Summervirus: I beg to differ. I really do not believe that med school is so different from other faculties eg Pharmacy which I am familiar with; people is people. I frankly do not think that people become all so wonderful and inclusive once they are in med school. People would not be outwardly rude to one another but there will always be groups that tend to stick together and do things together with usually no one else but themselves and there will always be people who are excluded. Universities are just an extension of high school with more mature students. I am thinking that this happens in every group of people, including your class.

Guest summervirus

kellyl20: Well, I suppose you have to have realistic expectations of med school. I'm not trying to paint a picture of us prancing around the meadow-side, holding hands, and singing songs. You're right, in every population, there are people that tend to hang out more within their own circle of friends. But, I think it's important to recognize that here, at least in my class, the students are friendly, welcoming, and, for the most part, don't foster a competitive environment. No one is really overtly exluded. Anyone that wants to just hang-out together is always welcome... and we have lots of class activities (like going to the West Ed Mall Leisure Centre, laser tagging, parties, potlucks, etc.) that are all-inclusive and fun! :)

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with spending more time with those you feel comfortable with, your friends, and your own personal support network. However, we're very professional about treating each other with respect too. And, we also recognize the importance of fostering relationships with each other because we'll all be colleagues one day.

Guest kellyl20

summervirus: So with the exception of a few people which you can count on one hand (I am being realistic as I am guessing that there is a couple of not so pleasant classmates in everyclass; these are the people you are hoping not to be doing your hospital rotations with) your class is inclusive of everyone that wanted to be a part of the group ie no one is excluded. Good for your class, and I hope it is true.

kellyl20- you sound VERY skeptical about summervirus's and mirrille's opinions of their classmates. i, too, was a little worried about things i have heard about the u of a class, but people who have said these things may be those who are not that prone to making friends and fitting in.... it may not necessarily be a function of the class. i am a little relieved to hear that this year's med class seems to have a lot of activities going on and seem to interact with one another a lot. i am not originally from edmonton and will not know a single person in this year's coming class, but i am looking forward to meeting everyone and making friends and am planning to be involved with intramurals/social functions etc. although i would never expect the moderators to trash talk their class, if they weren't happy with their current situation i doubt they would be overly enthusiastic.....

kellyl20 were you accepted to u of a med school? are you going to be attending? these are just my thoughts.

Guest kellyl20

Fox: Congrats to you; not my turn yet as I am in the 2/3 yr category.

Edmonton weather is a deterrent, however the academic excellence and the reputation of being a very good med school should override it. Also, the tuition seems to be much cheaper than the Ontario schools'. The reason I was a bit skeptic is b/c my GP's daughter is attending there now and her experience with her classmates so far as reported by her parent has not been as positive as Summervirus's had been. Wonder if this is gender related or perhaps he is just more gregarious.:D

Guest mirrille

I'm sorry your friend is having some problems.

But remember that the med class has about 120-something students. You'll be taking most classes with another 30-something dental students. That's about 160 people to interact with. So what if you don't get along with a handful of them (like maybe...about 5)? That still leaves roughly 150-ish people to be friends with. So don't worry about those 5 people. In the big picture, it's not really a big deal. Or if it turns out to be, for some bizarre reason, the school does have resources and advisors for students who may be experiencing personal problems of any kind.

The other thing is that with such a big class, of course there's going to be some clumping of people into cliques. This does not have to be a negative thing. I do happen to have a group of roughly 20-30 friends that I tend to hang out with more than others and I love them to pieces :) . That doesn't mean that I ignore everyone else. Some friends are going to be closer than others. You are going to build your own social network and not all 160 people can have exactly the same spot in it. But I tend to see the whole class as a network where some people are more closely connected than others.(Or maybe intersecting circles is more accurate...) It's not like a bunch of islands that don't touch and you can't go from one to the other. I have not yet personally had an experience where I approached people that I didn't usually sit with in class or at lunch and was cruelly repulsed or frozen out or in any way made to feel like I wasn't welcome. I think as long as you are a decent human being and make at least some effort to be friendly, you should be able to fit in somewhere. Even, if it's not smooth sailing, which would be odd, at the end of the day you should have at least some friends.

The comments from the moderators have changed my opinion about U of A a little (in a good way). However, I still worry that the majority of the class will know each other and will have come from U of A. Is this true? Besides the oop students, how many people were either new to U of A (say, from Calgary or wherever) or just didn't know anyone when they started?

Guest kooty

Hi Fox,

I don't mean to be insulting or anything, but why are you so worried about joining a new school? Wherever you go people are already going to know other people...... When I first started University I didn't know anyone because I came from another province. Everyone around me (or so it seemed) knew other people at school because they went to high school with them and came from the same city, so everyone what somewhat connected. I didn't know a soul.....but I met people and made friends. Being new to U of A shouldn't be a deterrent to you, it should be a great opportunity to get to know new people. I bet you'll be singing a different tune once you get into a group of your own :) Unless you don't plan to talk to anyone once you get there, I'm sure you'll meet people............

kooty

i am one of the most outgoing, friendly people you can ever meet. i grew up out east (you didn't say where you were from) and moved away when i was 17 to work and to go to school (two different places where i didn't know anyone). in my undergrad i met tons of people (and didn't know one person when i started) and made many great, lifelong friends.... but, back east most people go away to university (it's like a rite of passage). i had friends that enrolled in programs that their hometown university didn't offer just so they could get away from living at home. and there is something to be said about living in a university town. in my four undergrad years i only met one person at my university who was from that city! then i moved to edmonton to do a master's at u of a. it has been so hard to meet people at u of a. i haven't changed my personality, I talk to everyone and anyone, but have only made one real friend at the school. the rest of the people i am friends with i have met from extracurricular activities i joined or from the jobs i have worked in edmonton. maybe things change after undergrad and this may be the reason it has been hard to meet people here. my experience at u of a has shown me that it is hard to break into people's groups that formed way back when. so, this is the reason it is very important to me to be in an atmosphere where everyone gets along and is open to meeting new people. i have a big decision to make, and i am happiest when i have a lot going on in my life socially, and obvisouly this is partly my responsibility, but i want to be somewhere where i will be happiest. so i am just trying to find out what life is really like here in the med school setting. i am certainly not the kind of person who won't talk to people or try and make friends, and am not slamming u of a in the least. so i hope this answers why i am so interested in life at u of a!

hi.

it was asked a number of posts back if anyone OOP had been accepted yet. i'm from BC and have been accepted. i'll be letting it go, however, if i'm accepted at UBC or Toronto. i didnt realise there was such a small quota for OOP at UA.

anyway,

best of luck.

Archived