Premed 101 Forums

I got in!!!!!

Guest kernelhoover

Guest kooty

Hi Fox,

I totally get what you're saying now :) While I did tell you that I have met tons of wonderful people here, I realized as I was reading your post that they are exactly the type of friends you have made..... friends from classes, and extracurriculars. These are people you hang out with mostly in school, but no one you would actually call if you were just bored or even if something really bad happened. I also just have one really great friend since I've moved here. You're right, everyone seems to have "old friends" that they're still really involved with and it just seems weird pushing into their circles..........but try not to worry about that. You got into MED! If nothing else, you'll be happy studying it. Plus, the comments from the moderators are really positive. I guess you'll always just meeet "surface" friends, but even if you have one really good friend, that's still something to be thankful for :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest iamnuts

I am surprised that this thread has "somewhat" turned into UBC admissions is better than U of A admissions and UBC students appear to be more well-rounded and more cohesive. If I remember correctly, there were a couple threads last year where UBC admissions was being criticized for being too subjective and biased. If one person does not like you for whatever reason, he or she might be able to take you out right at the UBC admissions meeting. you cannot fall back on your GPA or LOR's to back you up.

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=212.topic

pub125.ezboard.com/fpreme...=183.topic

Maybe there is no right way to do admissions after all. You do it too objectively, people call your entering class "boring" and "based on numbers." You do it subjective, people call you "playing favors" and "intentionally keeping a group of applicants out of your door."

why can't people just get along?

Guest shkelo

Fox: First of all, congrats on getting into med!! (It's been awhile since I've posted something on the forum). Secondly, I wouldn't worry about making friends in med school. I, too, did a graduate degree at U of A before I entered med. Socially, it was very different from my days in undergrad. It seems that most graduate students like to keep to themselves for much of the time. (I guess it is all the bloody time in the lab that gets to you. :) ) I have a lot of friends from grad school, but I am not especially close with any of them. Med school, fortunately, is like a social firecracker. I don't think I've ever been around people who were so involved and motivated. I can't count how many class e-mails were sent for invitations to a number of fun outings. If you're hip to "hanging out", then there won't be a shortage of people from class to do it with.

As far as KellyI20's comments about some of the negative experiences she has heard about our class, I could probably pick them out quite easily...although I don't think I need to discuss them in this forum. Our classmate's comments are certainly fair and probably a valid observation of the class dynamic over the year. And yes, we have a few individuals in our class that are a little "over the top" at times. It doesn't matter. The irony is that the things that you'll remember most from med school isn't going to be the lectures, it'll be the people you did it with. I enjoy med school for what it is, not for what it isn't. Everyone, in my opinion, has had an equal opportunity to interact with each other in the class. I don't feel anyone has been purposely excluded from any group unless they themselves chose to be.

Guest Praeludium

I think that hit the nail completely shkelo. Med school is whatever you make it to be. If you intend on coming in and not interacting with a soul, but study your butt off, then that is what you'll get. If you want to get involved, go out to the numerous potlucks or events (again, see photos page), then you will meet people. What effort you put into socializing and building relationships will be what you reap. I don't feel grad school at U of A is fair comparison so say, med. The educational structure and class dynamics are so different.

I was one of those students who came to U of A without know anyone and I'm having a blast. I'm really sad to see the year go by so quickly actually, and scared for 3rd year to come when we all disperse! I believe if I (and others) can have this experience, then anyone can if they choose to.

Another comment I'd like to make is, shkelo, I think when I get together with buddies, you know, some 40 years down the road, we'll be reminiscing about how REALLY over the top those guys were in our class. It's true, I'll remember the people.

thanks to everyone who gave their opinions on med school life at u of a.... i am really excited for sept. to come, i can't believe we still have to wait four more months! i agree that grad school and any undergrad program are completely different and i hope to meet as many people as possible when school starts. see you all soon.

Archived