Premed 101 Forums

IP waitlist movement

Guest Impatient

Guest Impatient

Just wanted to know if anyone has the scoop on whether the in-province waitlist is moving yet.....or even better if anyone has been accepted off of it! Keep us posted!

Thanks.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pjdavis

I was wondering when someone would do this, I guess it would take an impatient person to do it.;) But thanks. Anyway, as to your query I have no idea, I know of three people who declinded their spots in the IP-list, two on this board (see wait-list thread) and a friend of mine who is going to McGill and declinded yesterday. So if it were moving someone should know something by now. I have a theory that they accept the OOP on a rolling policy as they want to attract the best and keep the IP's waiting until after the 18th deadline. But this is only a theory.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey Guys,

Finally managed to get registered so I can use this forum. I too am an impatient waitlist IP student....has anyone heard anything yet? I know of three in-province applicants that were accepted and have declined their spots already....so the waitlist should be moving soon if it hasn't already!! Also, I am considering deferring a year if accepted off the waitlist, as I'm only one year away from finishing two degrees and would really like to finish them after all my hard work!! Does anyone know if they grant deferrals to waitlisted students?

Thanks guys, GOOD LUCK!!

Guest pjdavis

Hey Cowgirl Jenn,

I hope we don't know the same three people, because that would make 6 places on a 4+ year in-province list of 25. No idea if it has moved yet though. It's hard to say because I think only a minority of applicants know of and post on this board, and I only know one person personally on the 4+ year IP-list. Anyway, wait-listed applicants if accepted can apply for a defferal with a valid reason, and in the past wanting to finish another degree first is a valid reason. Are you a 2/3 year IP applicant or a 4+ year applicant? If so you should know there are two seperate wait-lists. Good luck to all of us on the lists. :rolleyes

-pjdavis

Guest Granny Panties

I too am on the waitlist and I haven't heard anything either. All I know is that 25 people are on the list and last year all 25 people were eventually accepted....even 3 days after school started. I hate waiting!

Guest Salkh

Granny Panties - you are on the in-province waitlist, right? how did you find out how many people? those stats sound kinda like the OOP waitlist ...

Guest Granny Panties

Salkh,

Yes I am on the IP waitlist. I found out from Marlene......I know she wouldn't tell other waitlisters how many were one it but she did tell me. I guess I have a way with women..grin!

Guest Salkh

good work for getting that info out of her GP. nice to know how many people are on the waitlist. now if only we could find out our ranking on the waitlist ... do you think marlene likes brownies?

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey Guys,

I'm a fourth year in-province applicant, with one year left of a double degree...hence my consideration of requesting a deferral so I can finish my degrees...

I've seen the number 25 mentioned previously on several of the different topics on this site, but usually as the number of waitlisted OOP applicants...are you sure there are only 25 4+ IP applicants waitlisted as well?? Seems kind of a low number to me!! (here's hoping!!)

Guest Granny Panties

Yes I am sure it is only 25 people for IP.

P.S. lets see if Marlene likes brownies

P.S.S. I predict some people will be getting calls today since it is the waitlist deadline. Perhaps today we will start to see things move. What do you all think?

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey Guys,

My guess is that UofA won't start making phone calls until Mon/Tue, as I'm pretty sure that they will spend the day sorting through everything that has made it in last-minute....as well they may still accept replies that are only postmarked with today's date...meaning they may not be able to finalize everything until Tue/Wed.....so once again it is a guessing game as to when we will start to hear back....but the trend so far has been that we always start to hear later than we expect....GOOD LUCK everyone!!

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey All,

Has anyone on the IP waitlist heard anything yet?? Sheesh, I should have named myself impatient...but the name was already taken.... :o

Guest pjdavis

I haven't heard anything nor do I know anyone who has gotten in off the IP-list. What happened to the six places though (two from this board, three that Cowgirl Jenn knows and one that I know)? It should be moving now as two OOP's have heard in the past two days. Man I'm literally going nuts!!!!!:eek I check my messages like 10 times a day, and this board at least twice that. Oh well! I guess no news is good news.

-pjdavis

Guest Salkh

I hear you PJ, what with checking phone messages and this forum. You'd think out of the five of us on this thread, one would hear something at some point. Unless of course, we are numbers 21-25. Let's hope not. I am also studying to rewrite my MCAT in August but finding it very hard to concentrate ...

Guest anxiously

Hey everyone,

Figured that it was about time I joined in on the posting, rather than lurking like I have been for the past few LONG months. I am also on the 4+ IP waitlist, likely to be 25/25!! The list of people waiting grows......

anxiously

Guest pjdavis

Well Salkh,

I hope we're not all 21-25 on the list but it is possible. Anyway, since the U of A won't tell us where we are on the list we could try to figure it out ourselves by using the U of A's ranking system. The only thing is it is impossible to rank interview sucess, so I suppose we would have to assume that we each got the same interview score. Last year I got a 3.5 out of 5 on my interview and got rejected so I assume I did better this year and that most of us on the wait-list did . Therefore, let's say we all got 4's out of 5. So here it goes.

The U of A uses the following criteria to rank applicantions to get a score out of 100:

Cumulative average of university years: 10% (approx.)

Prerequisite course 25% (approx.)

MCAT 15% (approx.)

Interview 25% (approx.)

Personal attributes 15% (approx.)

Reference letters 5% (approx.)

MCAT writing sample 5% (approx.)

-My cummulative was 3.61/4 which converts to 9.025 out of 10

-My pre-req was 3.81/4 which converts to 23.8125 out of 25

-My MCAT was 32R which is 10.67 out of 15

-Asumming the above I got a 4 out of 5 on the interview which is 20 out of 25.

-Personal attributes I think we should rank eachother but here is an overview (ER volunteer experience, three summer studentships in a lab (2 papers published), member of 3 Rugby teams including U of A, physiology undergraduate student's association representative, took a year off after high school to do the 9-month volunteer program Katimavik, volunteering with military, hobbies include writing, weight-lifting, golf and running) am currently working towards a Master's degree and have a Bsc honors.

-References are hard to rank however, I got a 3.5 out of 5 for these last year and am assuming I did better (can't be sure though)

- MCAT writing sample was R since there are 12 possible WS marks this corresponds to 10 out of 12 or 4.17 out of 5.

Therefore, my total score minus personal attributes and references is 67.6775.

I think it is also highly probable that we are all fractions of points away from eachother so this exercise is probably useless, but it's worth a shot.

Guest Granny Panties

PJ,

Glad to know I am not the only obsessive compulsive (OC) out there. I too have tried to figure out my "score". Mine would be 65.5175. Let see if you get a call before me....good luck!

GP

Guest Qwigley

Hey guys,

I declined my spot (on Thursday) so there should be some more movement of the IP waitlist. I think I might be one of the people Cowgirl Jenn was talking about (I PM-ed you Jenn). I'll be doing Dent at UofA, so hopefully I'll see you all there. :hat

This was sort of exciting - it was my first post.

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey Anxiously, your real name wouldn't happen to be Tisha would it???

Glad to see you finally join the forum, I was beginning to wonder when you'd get impatient and join....I'm about to watch a movie (read: spend the next two hours trying NOT to think about UofA) and then I will use your "oh so complex formula" to try and determine my score....then I'll let you know what I come up with....

Jennifer

Guest Salkh

First of all, congrats Qwigley on getting into med AND dent! Pretty impressive. And thank you for freeing up a spot for us neurotic waitlistees!

Just a note to all "alternate candidates": if anyone's feeling kinda down about being waitlisted, think about it this way - roughly 100 in-province 4+ applicants are offered positions. There are 25 people on the waitlist. Therefore, we are all in the top 125 of 1000+ applicants. That's pretty damn good. And even if the waitlist doesn't move as much as we would like, I'd say we all have an awesome shot at it next year. That said, I am still waiting anxiously for that phone call ...

- Sally

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey "Qwigley",

Congrats again!! Guess my name does not leave much to the imagination in regards to who I am. I just realized you would not have been on the same waitlist as me anyways, as I'm on the 4 waitlist.....and you've only done three years correct?

I didn't get your PM....not sure where it went actually....

Guest anxiously

Jenn- got me, couldn't take it anymore and had to join in the "fun", if you can call it that!

Have to add my congrats to Quigley, very nicely done indeed!

As for the calculations, I've worked it out to a 68.22, minus the PA and reference letters and assuming 4/5 interview. I think that its very likely my PA will significantly bring my total down though, very impressive list pjdavis!!!

Here's hoping that today brings at least one of us a happy phone call.

Just curious, but can we actually call and find out the interview/reference marks?

Don't want to sound like a party pooper, but I think that doing the calculations are kind of useless mainly because people don't know their interview marks, personal attribute marks, and references. Those things control 50% -- so actually alot of variation can occur.

Archived