Premed 101 Forums

IP waitlist movement

Guest Impatient

Guest pjdavis

Hey MUC1,

It is kind of useless but it may still be a good exercise for the OC's like myself. Anyway, once you have been accepted or rejected you can find out how you faired on each section, after August 1st I believe. To do this you have to make an appointment with Marlene Healey and she will tell you what you scored on individual sections and suggest how to improve them. As you have already gotten in I don't think there is much room for improvement, but meeting with her could satisfy your ego.:D Still nothing on the wait-list front.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey guys,

I've calculated out my score assuming a 4/5 interview (I actually do think it went pretty well) to be 66.97.

I don't have as stellar a list of personal attributes as PJDavis, but here goes:

Currently entering final year of a double degree, BScH in Chem, BSc in Bio, (both with distinction), somewheres around 500 hours volunteering over the last five or six years, in medical labs to hospital ER, name on one abstract and one paper about to be published...hopefully, a bit of world travel experience (Taipei, Singapore, S. Korea, Thailand, several states in the US...), used to Kick box competitively, run, golf, hike, and snowboard and fair amount....

Theres a rough idea....may be forgetting some things...

Still haven't heard anything...

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey,

Just reading the last couple of posts, I came up with a new idea:

because we do not know our PA, ref, and interview scores....these scores we are figuring out are a bit useless.....BUT to at least determine our standing on everything BUT interview score we could look at when each of us was interviewed....ie: first or second round.

I for one was interviewed second round, but I was only notified last minute of an open interview spot....so that makes me think I would have been second round had someone not been able to make their first-round date.

- Still waiting

Guest pjdavis

Hey everyone,

I think it should be said that the PA and reference section is completely subjective. I know last year when they ranked my references for instance that I averaged a 3.5 out of 5. These were graded by two members (out of approximately 15) of the admissions commitee one who gave them a 2.5 and the other who gave them a 4.5 (huge descrepancy). Therefore, I would not lose heart, because depending on who marked them anyone's PA's and references can seem strong or weak in comparision.

Guest bean1983

does anyone know the numbers for the IP non-degree holding waitlist (ie..past movement, number of peeps on the list etc..)? i don't expect this list to move much, but itd be good to know nonetheless! :)

Guest anxiously

This is probably a useless post but has anyone heard anything yet?

Seems to me like its getting a little late but that may just be overanalyzing.... somebody please tell me that its not too late!!

Also, I have a friend who is on our 4+ waitist and hasn't heard yet either, that makes 6 of us I think.

Statistically what are the chances that we're all at the bottom of the list....anyone out there pay attention in statistics?

Guest Salkh

I don't think it's getting too late. As far as I know we can be pulled off the waitlist anytime between now and even a few days after classes start. Also, I read somewhere on this forum that Ontario schools have firm deadlines around the beginning of July, and the waitlist tends to move a bit around that time. Also, medical schools across Canada compare their class lists in August sometime, and they are not too happy if they see that someone has accepted at more than one medical school. To avoid that, I'm sure many people will withdraw acceptances around that time also. There is still hope for us! I did not pay attention in statistics, (probably THE most boring class offered at this school), but I would be VERY surprised if we are all clumped near the bottom of the list. (but maybe I am just being overly optimistic).

Guest pjdavis

I think I'm somewhat ambivalent towards the whole thing. While I know that someone was accepted off the wait-list three days into class last year, I still would have expected most of the movement to have occured by now. That said, I know that alot of people will hold on to their acceptances until the last minute. For example, a friend of mine was accepted to Queen's a few days ago but hasn't declinded the U of A yet until all the paperwork is through (i.e) been recieved at Queen's). I think they are doing this mainly to be prudent, but it is frustrating when you're sitting around waiting while someone sits on two or more acceptances. Oh well. The list will at least move by one soon.:rolleyes

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey Guys,

I'm with you on this one, waiting sucks....UGH!!

I still haven't heard anthing, and I find it doubtful that between all of us (and the people we all know) that no one has moved off with waiting list yet...I would have expected at least a bit of movement...

I am a 4+ waitlisted applicant, are you guys all 4+ as well?? (ie: are we all on the same waitlist?)

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey guys,

Just to let you all know, I'm calling UofA this afternoon to get the official word on what is going on, I let you know if I find out anything important....

Guest makdaddy08

Hey guys

My friend who was on the 4th yr IP wait list got in on Tuesday, so the WL is moving. I talked to Marlene and she told me the spots from the June 18 deadline were pretty much filled, but yah like everyone else says, can't count yourself out til August 30.

Consider yourselves lucky...I got a straight out rejection..haha. So I gotta move away from good ol' Edmonton to London ON. Anyways good luck, I'm sure you'll get the good news soon!

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey guys,

Well that sucks that most the spots have been filled since June 18th, I was really hoping that they were still going to make a bunch of calls....guess we are all waiting for awhile now....

I tried calling Marlene, but shes out of the office until Monday, so this likely means two things: a) No more calls will be made until Monday, B) I will be calling back Monday.

Everyone try and breath easy, and not think about it too much over the weekend (we all need a break!!), and heres hoping for some phone calls to be made early next week...

Guest pjdavis

As I got some extra courage from Jenn's initiative, I called the office too and asked to speak to Andrea. For some reason she is also gone till Monday. So no news definetely till Monday!

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey Guys,

I know I said we should all "take the weekend off", but likely you guys have been watching the site like a hawk all weekend none the less, so I thought I'd post something new...despite my not having any news to share...so....Hello!

Hope all your weekends are going well....I am going to try calling Marlene again tomorrow,

Jenn

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

I didn't call today, but I will try calling tomorrow.

I'm not sure how reliable this information is, but a friend told me that three of his friends were accepted off the in-province waitlist at UofA just last week. So apparently the waitlist is still moving...anyone else have any news?

Guest anxiously

Maybe my phone is broken....but since it appears to ring quite often I'll just assume that only phone calls from edmonton can't get through....wishful thinking!

Guest pjdavis

Well, all I can say is that at least thursday is a national holiday so we don't have to fret about getting calls. Also the good news is that on Friday all acceptances in Ontario become firm, which means that we will hopefully see some wait-list movement soon. Finally my friend hasn't got his paperwork through for Queen's, but I expect it will be through by tommorow so a spot may open up before the holiday. That said July 1st is my parent's 25th wedding anniversary and me getting in the next 26 hours would be the best present I could give them. I know that this is folly to think, but I have this thing about coincidences.:D Good luck to us all!

-pjdavis

P.S- I think my phone is broken too!:P

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Ok Guys,

I called Marlene just now to change my contact information. I didn't ask her any questions, but before I hung up the phone she said "Oh, by the way we've had some movement on the in-province 4+ waitlist. I can't tell you where you are on the waitlist, as I'm sure your aware, but we have some movement coming up."

YAYAYAYAYA!! So there is hope!! Good luck to you all, please keep me posted if you hear anything!!

Jenn

Guest Salkh

Jenn - how exciting! the movement must have just come up today, since I called Marlene yesterday to ask her about finishing up my BSc degree. I mentioned that I was on the IP waitlist, but she didn't say anything to me about any movement ... so maybe people will start hearing tomorrow?! maybe this has to do with what PJ said about Ontario schools and firm deadlines. damn it I hate it when I get excited because then I'm that much more disappointed when I don't get a phone call ...

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Salkh,

Are you planning to defer to finish your degree? Or are you just thinking of finishing it if you aren't accepted for this fall?

I am only one semester from finishing my degree so I'm playing with the idea of deferring, thats why I'm asking. Are you on the 4+ list, or the 2/3 list?

Guest Salkh

Jenn,

I don't know officially, but I'm assuming I'm on the 4+ waitlist. I've done 4 years of undergrad, but I switched faculties after my first year and therefore have a few courses to make up. my understanding is that people with 4 years of undergrad but no degree (like me) are clumped in with degree applicants (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) I would consider deferring in order to finish up my degree, but right now I'm leaning towards just accepting a spot if I'm offered one. I'm just planning for next fall in case I don't get in. I know you're in the same boat - hopefully we'll both have to be making a decision between accepting and deferring in the near future!

- Sally

Archived