Premed 101 Forums

physiology textbook

Guest arachniphobic730

Guest arachniphobic730

hey,

i haven't been able to find a previous post about which physio textbooks are good and thorough...

any takers?

thanks

-arach

Guest aneliz

I used Guyton's Medical Physiology in undergrad. It is extremely thorough, reasonably decent reading, but probably overkill for meds. It is pretty expensive too.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I second aneliz's choice re: Guyton's. If you want to reduce the cost a bit you can often find good, recent editions on eBay. I snagged mine from Pakistan (via eBay) for less than half the cover price.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I've always used Boron, the chapters aren't too long, but you can sometimes get more info than you were looking for. Its definitely a keeper though!

Boron and Boulpaep? I havent met a single person at Dal that likes that text. Everyone has their own preference though...

i think quite a few people at UBC use Boron. I use it and I have very little physio background (didn't take physio in ugrad) and find it really good. I also have an electronic copy of Guyton's as well. I haven't used it yet since I just acquired it yesterday. UBC has access to a lot of online medical textbooks so I can pretty much find anything physio-related that I want if it's not in a physio textbook.

Like Madz said though...everyone has their own preference.

• 2 weeks later...
i think quite a few people at UBC use Boron. I use it and I have very little physio background (didn't take physio in ugrad) and find it really good. I also have an electronic copy of Guyton's as well. I haven't used it yet since I just acquired it yesterday. UBC has access to a lot of online medical textbooks so I can pretty much find anything physio-related that I want if it's not in a physio textbook.

Like Madz said though...everyone has their own preference.

I love learning physiology in depth, but Boron is maybe a little TOO in depth. Most people in the US seem to be pretty fond of Costanzo. Personally, I have Boron and I read up to what I need to know and discard some of the TMI facts from my brain.

Very synonymous w/ Boring, Boring, Boring. I have always found the text to be a bit to physiologically oriented. I have always enjoyed buying the smaller more system oriented texts the bring a lot more clinical relevance. It is important to have a resource that can provide the in depth detail, but I usually use a more general internal book such as Cecil's or Harrison's for that. But thats just my 2 cents!

Archived