Premed 101 Forums

Let's go where we're wanted...

Guest SouthMigration

Guest SouthMigration

British Columbia needs about 400 medical graduates to keep the number of practicing physicians at current levels. But if we don't get in, why should we care? I suggest that for those of us who really want to be doctors, and are convinced we are academically, and emotionally capable, leaving the country and pursuing medicine abroad is a good alternative. It might take longer, due to visas, and may cost more (loans though), but if Canada wants to make it this hard for capable students, and is so cruel to foreign medical school graduates, then I say...see ya! I'll just go to the U.S., or abroad at a WHO listed school with U.S. rotations. Let's get our permanent resident cards and have nice little practices in the U.S. Look into it. You can do it, and it is not impossible. You just have to say goodbye to Canada as a country in which to pursue medicine. For an absolute worst case scenario medical program, check out the following link:

www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

Guest coastal79

Then go.

Personally, I have to no desire to live or practice medicine in the U.S. The money doesn't interest me and I don't believe in the health care system. If Canadian schools don't work out for me, I'll definitely look abroad at other options because I want to be a doctor. However, I'll come back.

Guest SouthMigration

Good luck! Look into the process of working in Canada as a foreign medical school graduate. It doesn't make sense. You'll end up sweeping floors or something while waiting to get some lame externship. And don't worry, I will "go," and make more money, and practice way sooner. HMO's aren't all that bad, neither are PPO's, or CMO's. Don't be blinded by the anti-American health-care gossip. Canada is the ultimate two-tier system ya know. Provincial monopolies on health insurance are a matter of federal law. Is that fair? You appreciate federal legislation granting a monopoly on business, of any kind? In a "democracy?" I don't believe less but more equal is the way. Competition lowers prices too, and access, not nationalization of health insurance...

Here is a quote from the website:

"For Canada to permit regulations to stand, which have as their sole foundation, appeals to discrimination toward Canadian citizens who are graduates of foreign medical schools, is to commit, a violation of the Bill of Rights, as heinous as the original set of injustices and inequalities, for which this Bill of Rights Act was created"

Check out the following link if you think you'll come back to Canada to practice:

http://www.caribbeanmedicine.com/openletter.htm

Guest soapyslicer

Hi southmigration,

Each year at this time there is always someone who (I think) in frustration over the process starts to bash it. Your hostility, whether planned or not, makes you sound like sour grapes and nothing more.

We all are struggling to jump through the hoops and follow our dream of practicing medicine. It is really easy to be negative particularly at this time when we are all feeling the stress of being in the middle of the interview season and approaching final exams etc. I know I have nothing but admiration for those who are so dedicated to being a doc they head elsewhere to do it. Whether that is the US or a foreign med school, few who do it take it lightly.

All the links that people provide to help other access information are welcome. Why don't you try couching it with a little more diplomacy and I am sure your insights will be more welcomed. Of course you might not care at all and in that case you are welcome to ignore everything I have said!

Good luck in whatever you choose to do,

soapy

Guest mymomthinksimacatch

Hi y'all

Hope everyone's having a good weekend :)

I did a little footwork on trying to figure out how to go to school abroad and come back last year. Looked at SABA and some other carribean schools... didn't look so good for getting back, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done (just difficult... I suspect extremely so). If anyone is really keen on that one, let me know (have a family friend who has gone just that route who I could enquire about). The reputation of one's US residency program seems to play an important role.

I decided to apply to England and Ireland... England has some pretty good schools going, which can be investigated at http://www.ucas.ac.uk (I recommend Warwick, EastAnglia, and Sheffield), as does Ireland which one applies for through the Atlantic Bridge Program (http://www.atlanticbridge.com). Didn't look at Australia, although I understand they also have good medical training programs.

Ended up deciding to persue an alternative myself, in large part because of the uncertainty of coming back to Canada. I was told I could have done it if I'd wanted general practice, but was up in the air otherwise, and even with general practice, location was out of my control. There are a lot of other things to consider also.

SouthMigration: you'd be more entertaining if you didn't sound so bitter. I suspect you will find that the US system has its fair share of problems. By the way, the provision of the Bill of Rights you referred to is superceded by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and doesn't really apply anyway (assuming your referring to the equality provisions).

Cheers!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There could be a little more hope for IMGs. This past week I read that the government has newly channeled some funds towards trying to bring more IMGs to the point of being able to work in Canada. (Sorry, I can't recall where as I've been doing more of such reading than usual, of late ;) ). So although the present Canadian medical environment is not the most welcoming to IMGs, it doesn't mean that it can't change, and it certainly appears that there may be a better chance of evolution on the horizon. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mastaj2000

Southmigration,

I'm sorry you feel that way about working in Canada. Personally, working and living in Canada is more important than making money. And don't kid yourself, you will still make pretty good money as a Doctor in Canada.

Yes, Canada has a 2-tiered system; however, unlike the U.S., it is primarily a PUBLIC system, which allows everyone access to good healthcare. Rich or poor, you have access to the same Doctors (obviously, with some exceptions). Sure, if you're rich, you can buy your healthcare (just go across the border), but such is the nature of the beast.

I would warn you, however, to do your research with non-U.S. based medical schools. My cousin is currently studying in the caribbean, and has only now learned that it is not guaranteed that he'll be able to find work in the U.S., even though all of his clinical rotations are in U.S. hospitals.

Competition, as you put it, does not necessarily lower prices. Making healthcare public would simply create more of a class system than we have now - with the wealthy being able to afford the best Doctors, and the not so well off out of luck. Aren't we, as Doctors, supposed to be compassionate and ethically not be concerned whether our patients are rich or poor? Isn't that why they ask you "why do you want to be a Doctor?" in your interview? Perhaps you did not get into school because the interviewers can tell you are in this simply for the money.

Guest SouthMigration

Yeah, you're right. I was a little hostile, and bitter, only because I've been working in the U.S. for three years in healthcare. I work for a managed care agency actually, and it is not as bad as people think. I have many patients with no income, who are homeless, and they still get all the health services they need, including free medication, because of special funding programs. It takes a lot of paperwork, but I don't mind doing it for them. But I'm not bitter anymore. Actually, I've decided to accept an offer to do my Ph.D., so if I get a spot this year at UBC, one of you can have it. Thanks for the feedback. Good luck to all of you...

Guest soapyslicer

Southmigration,

Well done, good luck with the PhD!!! Do you know what your area will be yet? I just finished a MSc. in November in Anatomy.

soapy

As a Canadian at a US school, I'll admit that the US isn't that great but it doesn't deserve the bashing it gets either. Before starting med school in the US, I was under the impression that our hospital (The Four Season's Feinberg, as it is known around these parts) only catered to the rich. However, having done some of my physical exam stuff at the hospital, I must say that our hospital caters to a lot of poor, homeless people who wandered in off the streets of Chicago. Not to mention that our hospital treated many of the people who were involved in the tragic night club fire of last year (many of whom were young people who had no insurance). The system is far from perfect, and everyday, we are reminded about the 44 million uninsured in this country. Americans are not arrogant enough to say that their health care system is the best in the world; in fact, if I had a nickel for everytime someone in my class or faculty brought up how great the Canadian system is I'd be a millionaire by now.

I want to come back to BC for various reasons (but may not be able to due to personal reasons... gf is an American). I love this city, and as I type this I can hardly believe the beautiful weather outside (yes it's spring break for me!). But sometimes I think Canadians should really open their eyes and see that no, America isn't the big bad bully that the world makes them out to be (Bush is another story).

Archived