Premed 101 Forums

second mcat score

Guest s sadry

Guest s sadry

hey guys--

i was just wondering, if you have to take your MCAT a second time, which schools will take the most recent score and which schools will average scores, or use any other sort of formula?

i know western and queens will use the most recent score.

thanks.

Guest miss83

What if you are writing the MCAT for a second time, but your first score is okay, you just want to try for a bit better, and you do worse the second time around. This is what I'm doing by the way... Does anybody know if they would take your best score into consideration?

Guest s sadry

well i think the u of t and western website say the MOST RECENT SCORE.

so if your most recent score is lower- i don't think there is much you can do.

i was hoping someone would know the answer to my initial question -- reg: queens, out of province and most of the states.

Guest keltok

I wrote the MCAT twice and applied to Ottawa, UWO, Queens, Toronto, Dalhousie, Calgary and UBC. All of these schools look only at your most RECENT score, be it better OR worse than your previous scores (so think very carefully about whether you need that one or two point boost). I'm fairly certain that the same applies to all of the other Canadian schools.

If you're worried that a previous score might be cause for concern for any of the schools, and if you have a good explanation as to why you didn't do as well as you'd hoped the first time around, you can always mention it somewhere in your application. Some schools will give you space for a little blurb wherein you can explain less than stellar grades/test scores, or you can always turn it into a 'challenge I surmounted' in your personal statement.

At any rate, even on the applications where I didn't explain why I'd done so poorly on my first MCAT, none of the schools asked me why, and I got interview offers at all of them (when my first round scores where below the cutoffs for most of 'em). Rewriting the MCAT is not something to do lightly (that test eats up your summer like nothing else), and many schools use the test only as a 'red flag'--so a great score won't really help your app that much--but it CAN make the difference between a successful application and a rejection.

Good luck!(Sorry I can't comment on the US schools...maybe someone else will know...)

Archived