Premed 101 Forums

current avg. 78.3%. Which schools should I look into?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Hey guys! I am going into 3rd year and my grade is not that stellar, plus I am doing a biochemistry degree, so my grade probably will not rise dramatically. I am aiming for low 80%'s. Other than UBC, which Canadian schools are known to accept student with lower GPA? I wanna to start looking into those schools to make sure that I have the pre-reqs. THANKS!

Guest orlinmyer

Actually, this past year at Sask interviews were granted to those over 84%. The average last year for entry was ~87%. Sask is harder to get into with a low average because 65% of the admissions process is devoted to GPA.

Really? When I was applying I heard they went through most of their waitlist before the class was finalized. Sounds like its getting harder and harder to get into dent

Hello! Yah it is true that interviewing the cutoff for Sask this year was pretty high (84%).

Last year, however, it was much lower. I believe that the average OOP getting into SASK in 2004 was 83.5%. Overall (oop and Ip) the average getting into SASK was approximately 85% last year, as indicated by the SASK website. (This GPA is calculated on 60 credits).

I think it is getting harder. But I also think that there are fluctuations from year to year. If I was you I would try to rock this year coming up. Sask only looks at your two best i believe. So if you kill the year coming up that might help. With 78.3% you are still alive at schools. UBC for example is one if you nail your DAT at it will make a big diff as its 33% of your consideration. I also think that with a couple of good years Western is another school. Kinda depends on where you are from too.

Oh yah! UBC lets you toss your worst year! So i don't know what kinda affect that has on your GPA. If it gets you to about a 82ish that's not bad.

Hope that helps.

And ya.....MOVE WAITLIST MOVE.

Guest Adversary

No, everyone is equal like at ubc. However, the cutoff this year for interviews at UWO is 84% (best two years).

As well, getting an interview is a small step since they interviewed 250 people this year for 57 spots. 1 in 5 chance...

Hey Smooth! You might still be okay at ubc depending on what your % is after dropping the worst year and the interview/DAT also.

Regardless of all applicants being equal i still think that the average last year getting in did not go up significantly from the year where the IP's had preference. THE REASON? UBC is damn expensive. I think we worked it out to be about 170 000 over four years. So people might opt for a cheaper school if they get in. I don't know what the estimated "school related" costs are exactly at western but their tuition in 03/04 was about 70 000 less than ubc's is currently over the four years.

THAT's ALOT OF CASH. I'll be honest though i think that if you want a reasonable shot you need to KILL your DAT and rock the interview for ubc with a 78%. But its hardly over just because ubc doesn't give IP consideration. I have buddies finishing off and they thought it would make a big diff on teh % getting in...apparently it hasn't.

Guest Adversary

dHo is right. It hasn't changed much. Take a look at last year's admission avg. It's around 81% which is simliar to before.

Archived