Premed 101 Forums

U of A

Guest dentwannabe

Guest dentwannabe

I got a conditional letter of acceptance from U of A dents yesterday. It pretty much says that as soon as I send in my final transcript I'm in. Wahoo! Has anyone else heard back from U of A? Berland have you heard? Doesn't seem like there are that many people in this forum that applied to U of A, but I thought it might be nice to talk to some of my fellow classmates.

Take care, and good luck to everyone waiting to hear from their dental school of choice,

dentwannabe :D

Guest Berland

I also recieved a letter of acceptance. I don't know when it came (I work 10 and 4 in a remote area, so it must have come within the last 10 days). Was planning on spending this holday fishing, but looks like I have to go get my medical tests finished

berland

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dentwannabe

Hey Berland,

Congrats on your acceptance. You just finished your third year, right? Have you thought about deferring so that you can finish your degree? I've completed four years, but I'm still three courses short of graduating, so I was thinking about trying to defer. Do you know how many people (if any) they let defer each year? I couldn't get much info from the admissions office.

dentwannabe

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Berland

Well, I'm in animal biology so I don't think another year will give me any additional experience dealing with the dental field. Even if I start dentistry this fall, I will still be awarded a Bsc of medical science upon the completion of my 2nd preclinical year. In this situation I don't think it makes sense to delay my education by a year so that I graduate w/ a Bsc honours animal biology and a DDS when I could start right away and finish with a Bsc medical sciences and a DDS.

Info about the Bsc Medical Sciences is on page 219 of the UofA calendar:

94.9 Degree of Bachelor of Medical Science

The degree of Bachelor of Medical Science may be awarded to students in the DDS or MD program at the end of the second year of that program who have filled the following requirements at this or another university.

First and Second Year

Prerequisite courses required for entrance to the DDS or MD program

Third and Fourth Year

Preclinical (Years 1 and 2) of the DDS or MD program

Provisions

(1) None of the courses in the first and second year has been used for credit towards another degree.

(2) At least the final two years have been taken at the University of Alberta

(3) All courses have been successfully completed.

Berland

Guest dentwannabe

Thanks for the info Berland. I didn't know about the Bachelor of Medical Science Degree at U of A. I actually did end up applying for a deferral because I'd like to finish my bcem degree and I've decided to do a minor in business. So, we'll see what happens. Good luck with dents in September. I'd love to hear what you think of the program once you start.

dentwannabe

Archived