Premed 101 Forums

can anyone please answer my question

Guest dentistwannabe

Guest dentistwannabe

Hi everyone I had a question, I'm doing a Honours B.A as opposed to B.Sc but in a life science (i.e kinesiology/psychology), but I have all the necessary requirements met. I was wondering if this would put me at a disadvantage for gaining admission. Thank You.

Guest LestatZinnie

hi

in principle the schools say they don't care. however if you look at stats for dent or med school people with bsc overwhelmed those with other degrees. there may be some bias, but there is nothing you can do. i suggest you get some research experience doing 'real' experiments that show some depth. no offense, but psychology is often regarded as a mickey mouse degree (at least among my circle at UBC) so doing some extra hard things on the side, + killer grades on pre req courses, i.e. biochem, org chem, etc., may help admission members overcome any 'hidden bias' they have.

Guest dentistwannabe

hi thank you all for your input.

I wanted to futher elaborate, my degree goals. I will be graduating with a specialized honours b.a in psychology next year, this is a four year program, I have met all the science requirments my GPA is 3.76 (without my last year included) and I am shadowing for a dentist, and if I obtain reasonably good DAT scores, will I still be at a disadvantage because of my art degree? U of T, however considers psychology an automatic Bsc whereas the university I attend differentiates between the two as you can take B.A or B.Sc, I dont know if that makes a difference, any further insights? please do share. Thank You in Advance.

I would also like to add that psychology is not a micky mouse course as the average in all psych courses is a C, furthermore a lot of university students that I have talked to whether at my university or others find psychology to be quite challenging and many drop the course.

Guest LestatZinnie

hihi

i hope you did not take offence at my comment about your major. i am just reflecting the opinions regarding psych from ppl i know at my school, so it certainly may not be true or be applicable to your case. i have myself taken psych courses and enjoyed them. in fact, i heard that psychologists make bundles in the states!!! however, prejudice do exist against it from other science majors who do not view it as 'real science'. this kind of bias exist in every school, (science vs engineers vs arts) and one should probably be wary that admission members might be subject to bias as well. but it's hard to say- i have a friend who's in music and got interviewed at med school. besides your gpa is good, so i wouldn't worry too much about whether you have bsc or bsa.

Archived