Premed 101 Forums

free candy

Guest research101

Guest research101

Hello: I've got a couple of questions for anyone who can answer them.....

Do the first yr meds or the faculty itself create intramural teams during the year? Are there intramurals at dal? If there are, I imagine they start up pretty early for things like soccer. I think it would be great if our class made a team or joined up with some other team.

Also, for anyone applying for gov't loans who've only been out of high school for three years, what is the liklihood of getting a decent loan? Any experience with this? Suggestions?

Thanks, see you in August,

R.

Guest MrNeuroscience

I think I can answer the first question (so maybe I only get one piece of candy!)

Dal Med DOES have intramurals, loads of them. There is a Dal Med Society that registers for all the sports (I'm sure we'll find out more during the first couple of weeks of school). Things like soccer, ultimate frisbee, volleyball, intertube waterpolo...

See you on the field! (and at o-week)

Guest scooter
Also, for anyone applying for gov't loans who've only been out of high school for three years, what is the liklihood of getting a decent loan? Any experience with this? Suggestions?

:lol I guess being old and having gone around the block a few times has its benefits (getting the max I belive, ... question? what is the max for med is it 14000 or is there a different set price for med?)

:lol I was in the same boat when I was in undergrad. Basically they insist that your parent's MUST contribute X amount!!! Which is ridiculous and favours people with old money ... but i can rant for hours about the useless and over inadequacies of our student loan program... but i'll spare you the details and swearing :evil

Basically, you won't get enough to cover all your costs- this is impossiable for indi students as well... i think they belive a money fairy brings the remaining money..... and the sad fact is is that financial planning and hard work are punished :eek My advice, get the greatest and least paying job out there!! Basically every penny you earn is one penny less than they will loan you at interest free... meaning you have to borrow more from a bank. They will say your parent's are expected to contribute X amount... (wheather you can prove that they can't or not is irrelevant to them...:evil eating is also irrelevant). They will figure out how much you have , from your fun job, then they will add that to this magic free money your parents are giving you and then they give you the remainder up to a point.

Advice: If your parents are divorced then claim the lower income bracket parent as your parent. If they just received a big raise before the last tax session then that is grounds for appeal. Also, always appeal your loan, the system is designed in many provinces that you appeal and then get more money...

If your parent(s) are mid middle income and lower and you don't have very many personal assets then you can probably expect more than 10 grand. but if your parents are in the high middle income or in the high income bracket that is going to make what you receive shrink like cotton in a dryer.

There is a handy estimator online.(mine is too slow today.. but google stu loan calculator and eventually you will find it). use this and try out different values that you could possiably use... ie if you told your boss off and got fired and no more money came in... how much would you be entitled to and so forth (try out the work 70 hr/week compared to 20 and see how much money you have at your disposal during the year!! It will unfortunately surprise and disappoint you...:\

Also, make sure you mark that med is 40 weeks (which is longer than the normal) and that the tuition and fees together are more than 16000$. And apply to the scholarships and bursaries that are offered by Dal. Unlike student loans they ask how much money you have and how much your parent's are ACTUALLY contributing.

last, apply on-line.. by paper will take a lot longer!!!

Other advice: legally divorce your parents... i saw a kid try it on desperate housewives.. i'm sure it is a good idea...

Cheers and good luck. oh yeah how to I get free candy?

Guest research101

1. Do incoming students need to send the consent form along with scholarship/bursary applications? Also, do incoming students send the application and/or consent form via email as an attachment?

2. This may have already come up, but is St. John Ambulance- C OK to satisfy the CPR/first aid requirement?

You'll get your free candy when school starts.

Thanks,

R.

Guest scooter

1. Incoming students do have to send hte consent form in, HOWEVER, a question : where?? It says to put them in our personal folders... I am assuming/hoping that they just haven't created them yet and that is why the system will be down on July 14th... I read somewhere that we are NOT to send it as an e-mail attachment but rather upload it... however as previously mentioned I am not sure where to upload.... (one of many things in life I don't know...;) )

2. St John C is good... or that is what everyone told me and I'm taking +:P

Scooter

Fyi* I don't like chocolate or nuts... but i do love candy... when *exactly is too old to trick or treat? Please tell me 35....

Archived