Premed 101 Forums

Reduced course load

Guest nova175

Guest nova175

Hi guys-

Just wanted to inquire about taking a reduced course load...it has been suggested to me by a few of my doctors because of an injury I had but I don't really want to go that route. If I did however would the admissions committee at Dalhousie look down upon that? or not? I already have had a not so spectacular first year and I want to do well when I go back in September...any thoughts?? Thanks!

Guest JewelLeigh

Hi Nova,

From Dal's admissions website:

Maritime applicants must also have achieved a minimum GPA of 3.3 on a 4.3 scale in each of the last two consecutive years of full time study. If you apply and have previously completed your degree then we will also consider your best 3 out of the 4 years of full time study.

To clarify, full time study is 5 courses per semester.

So, assuming you are heading into 2nd year, you are making it such that your 2nd year will not be considered for any med application to Dalhousie. An example application of this is that you will hurt your chances of applying during your fourth year. During your fourth year, you will only have 3 years of marks available...1 of which will not be fulltime. Since this will also be one of your last two consecutive (at the time of an application during your fourth year), you will not meet the requirements and thus you would only be considered eligible if you receive special consideration. (Hopefully that makes sense.)

If you apply after your degree is complete, and if your 3rd and 4th year are above the cut-off, then the 2nd year will be a moot-point. So, if you're sure your last two years will each meet the cut-offs, and you are sure you won't apply until after your degree is complete (ie. a year off after undergrad), then you won't have a problem. Otherwise though, it's a sticky situation.

Obviously, an easier situation with respect to meeting requirements for Dalhousie Med Admission, is to just take a fulltime course load throughout your 4 years of undergrad. But, there are other things you need to consider of course, your health, recovery from injury, and ability to focus on studies.

My advice to you is to arrange a meeting with the admissions office before you make any decisions about course load. They will be able to explain in better detail how this works, and tell you whether or not your special circumstance would allow them to overlook the reduced load for that year. Better to do this ahead of time, then to be disappointed later on when you want to apply :)

Guest nova175

Hmm...definently some food for thought.

I talked to someone at my university and they seemed to think that a medical school admissions committee would overlook a substantially serious traumatic brain injury...but I think that perhaps it would be better to meet with them and find out from them directly like you had suggested.

I'm a very stubborn individual, and for a long time was set on taking a full course load despite what EVERYONE had suggested. Lately, I have found myself rethinking that and now I'm in a bit of a pickle. I'm overjoyed to go back to school and can't wait, but at the same time I don't know how it is going to go over and don't know how I can handle it after past events. There is a lot of unknown variables.

In addition, it says "best 3 out of 4 years of full time study". I don't particularly want them to include my 1st year because it was a mess and definently does not meet their standards. The previous statement suggests that it will have to be included which will not work.:\

But, like you said, perhaps they themselves can clarify it.

Guest JewelLeigh

Yeah, exactly. My impression is that Dal is generally very understanding with a variety of extenuating circumstances, so I can imagine that what you have gone through would more than fit into that category :)

Guest namcln

While I didn't have a traumatic brain injury (I'm sorry to hear that), I did have a serious resp illness in my first year that caused me some major academic problems. I'm also stubborn, like you, and didn't think twice about pushing on. It actually put me in jeopardy later on when I wanted to do my Honours. It made me look less competative and the dept. head wondered why I didn't drop the year and start over again. Everything that JL said is right on. Also, if they don't change the application format, there is an opportunity to let them know any reasons for academic problems in your history. I was able to write this on my Dal app and it didn't affect my admission. Some other schools afford you the opportunity as well.

Take good care. :)

Archived