Premed 101 Forums

Letter of intent question

Guest MicroMaster

Guest MicroMaster

Hey everyone, quick question...

I am in the middle of starting my letter of intent/personal essay/answer to anticipated application quesiotns. I would like to know if you think it is wise to mention (in passing) why my grades are not great in 2nd year, or should I just pretend like they didn't happen?

Thanks

Guest stepstofollow

Hi there:

If it were me, I would not do that in my essays. Just my opinion -- others may disagree -- and ultimately it is up to you. Depends on how you frame it.

There is a place on the dal app supplementary sheets for info like that -- a section called something like "Is there any other information of which you would like the selection commitee to be aware".

I would do it BRIEFLY there and indicate also what other factors in your application mitigate the grades -- for example -- exemplary other years of uni you'vehad -- awards, research.

There are 2-3 essays to be written for the Dal app. Each is one page, reasonable, readablefont, reasonable margins, and can be single spaced.

The third essay is only for people who are choosing to do med school after having another career or who have been away from school for a long time.

You can do it in your essays, as well -- if you do choose to include in your essay -- do it in the strength/weaknesses essays -- and do not focus on the low grades per se -- focus on the personal factors that lead you to have the lowergrades and then what you did to mitgate that issue in your academic life to date.

Guest MicroMaster

sounds good. I was thinking that if included it at all, it would be in the strength/weakness category and would be culmunated by saying that one of my weaknesses is my willingness to take on too much responsibilty (exemplified by the fact that I took certain classes that were not recommended be taken together because of workload)... more eloquently, of course. I'm just not sure on how to show them that this weakness is a thing of the past...

Micromaster

Archived