Premed 101 Forums

Anyone else applying from the States to Canada this year?

Guest Mikey59

Guest Mikey59

Hey all,

I'm new to the board but am really impressed with the site so far.

I am a native Canadian who went to University south of the border and have applied through OMSAS for 2003 entry.

I was wondering if anyone else on the board is in a similar situation? If so, are you applying to American schools also? (I've applied to 3 Ontario and 14 American). Which country would you go to school in if accepted to schools in both?

Thanks in advance for any replies.:D

Guest Chieka101

I'm a Canadian applying to both Canadian and American schools. Check the international forums on this site for more info, or try the forums for studentdoctor.net. It's a site for American premeds.

C.

I am a Canadian who goes to med school in the US now. I know of one other canadian in my class who started med school at U of T, then was pulled off the waitlist at our school during O-week, who subsequently came down here. Me, I chose to attend a US med school (applied to only one Canadian school) because I eventually want to practice in the US. Plus, I am into research and going to a US school offers more opportunities in that dept.

moo

ubc 2002

northwestern feinberg 2006

Guest YankCanuck

Hi Mikey59,

I am Canadian and I completed my undergrad in the US. I am only applying to schools in Ontario this year because I want to move home closer to my family.

It is my understanding that in the past most US med schools considered Canadian citizens as "foreign" and consequently only looked at their applications AFTER looking at the American applicants. Now it seems like some schools are willing to treat Canadians as equals, provided they can "show the money" for tution etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

Guest Mikey59

Hey YankCanuck,

I fortunately have a green card so I am applying without reservation to a ton of US schools also (12 on AMCAS+ 4 non AMCAS US ones) .

You are right about the difficulty as a Canadian getting in to US schools. There are some other threads on here and Studentdoctor forums that talk about this. At state schools such as the UCals, TX school etc. are impossible for even out of state Americans to get in, and they often require either a green card or citizenship (I needed proof of my GC for TX apps).

The private schools that accept non-US-citizens/permanent residents also are the ones to apply at (if that situation arises). Baylor, Northwestern and Yale come to mind (off the top of my head) but there are several others. Schools like Duke and Cornell do require "money in the bank" for all matriculants, even US citizens. That's not really a big deal because once you apply and receive a loan, you will have the money up front anyway.

I've been asked a ton of questions about being Canadian at my American interviews so far, so expect a lot of questions from Ontario schools about life south of the border. It's nice to have that life experience under your belt as it easy to talk about and always interesting.

(I've applied to Mac, Ottawa and U of T). My preference would be to get in at Ottawa or U of T and stay in Canada permanently, but it is nice to have the choice of both countries.

Good luck with you apps to OMSAS schools. Hopefully I'll run into you at an interview :D

Guest Chieka101

I am in the middle of the American application process right now and I'm faring well despite being a Canadian citizen without a green card. True, many of the schools that I applied to didn't even look at my app because I'm not American (I wish I knew this before I forked over the $$$), but others have shown interest.

If you are considering applying to the states, make sure that you get your hand on the Medical School Admission Requirements book. It explicitly states which American schools accept Canadian students. Too often, the schools website fail to clearly provide such info.

C.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest supremetaco

I am in the same boat. I've applied to American Schools and been accepted to a school in Missouri already. I do have a GC but am a resident of New Brunswick. The tuition there is 26000 though so I am waiting on word from the Canadian schools to which I have applied.

Peace

• 5 weeks later...
Guest UPENN2003

Hello,

I'm Canadian (Ontario) student in a US college. I have applied to like 18(?) schools in the States and McGill in Canada. I've received a bunch of rejections from US schools and I would like to think that was because of my status as a foreign student. :b

But I did get into a Penn State MD/PhD program with tuition waiver and a stipend, so I know it's definately possible. I'm waiting to see what happens with McGill

Good Luck everyone.

Guest chrys42

From my understanding, if you apply to most private US schools, it doesn't matter as much if you're considered foreign. In addition, it's going to be pricey no matter where you go in the US. I've read a post on SDN that said that most Canadian schools are considered about equal with Top 40 US schools. So maybe that will help you make up your mind. That being said, there are a lot of opportunities in the US, and if you are considering doing your residency in the US, that is another factor to consider.

Archived