Premed 101 Forums

US citizen/student interested in Canada's med schools

Guest JBones

Do any US citizens apply to Canadian medical schools, and do any get accepted? Is there any special consideration for US citizens over other "international" applicants (us being neighbors and all)?

Thanks.

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes, Americans do apply. For most Canadian schools, I don't think many get in. At my school (the University of Western Ontario) no international students are taken. There are quotas at most schools -I think the schools are worried about Americans coming up here for the cheaper tuition and then returning back South for the private system and better renumeration. As it is enough Canadian grads of Canadian schools head south after graduating!

The one exception is McGill in Montreal. It's a great school, with the Gourman report giving it a 4.91 (out of 5,) making it one of the top 5 medical schools in the world. I think they take in roughly 20-25 International students per year, the bulk being American. It's actually easier at the moment to get into McGill as an international student than as a Canadian from a province other than Quebec. . . as I said they take roughly 20 International students, whereas last I heard they only took about 5 non-Quebec Canadians!

Hope this helps.

Guest Ian Wong

Other schools that take international students include McMaster and Memorial University. You can find links to all the Canadian med schools (which should hopefully give more details regarding their admissions policies as far as residential status/citizenship) here:

premed101.com/medschools.html

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Thanks for the replies.

A follow up question--Since not many international students get accepted, is it also safe to assume that there is strong competition for those few spots? I expect to be a qualified candidate for admission, but probably not the best of the best.

This is a great service, thanks to everyone who makes it happen.

Archived