Premed 101 Forums

studying med in canada

Guest hara

my situation is kinda unusual, and i need a lot of help.

i am a korean who's studying premed (BS Psychology) in the Philippines. i just became a junior, and i'm thinking of going to Canada for my med school.

i looked into a couple of med schools in the internet, and they seem to admit more international students than i expected, but before i look into them further, i want to ask a couple of questions. it would really help!

after i finish med school in canada, would i be able to get into a residency program?

if i do get my MD in canada, would i be able to practice it any where in the world?

how much would the average tuition be, and the living expenses?

do they give financial aid to foreign students?

what are the requirements (grades, etc...) for admission?

how hard is it to get a student visa?

i would really really really appreciate it if you can answer a couple, if not all, of the questions ( i know there are a lot. ) thanks so much!!!

• 7 years later...

After 3 years of studying in the same university program ull be eligible for permanent residency in canada... About residency program, Yes u can study in it... depending on ur grades and requirements etc.. but u wont be penalized for being foreign student!

In almost all the WORLD but the USA and some other countries...

tuition, depending on the university, about 26 to 40 K/ year..

Living expenses?! depending on ur lifestyle.. But minimum 600$ fot appartment, 100$ tel, electricity.. etc.. (per month)

No financial aid for foreign students, anyway they dont give u a visa student if u dont provide them that u have the financial capacities to cover all the years of ur expected studies in canada...

Requirements?! No idea.. but i know if ur an arab student whose daddy is a prince and makes a BIG HUGE donation to McGill university, ull be acccepted...

If u get accepted and have the money, its really easy to get a student visa!

Hope i answered ur questions!

• 1 year later...
After 3 years of studying in the same university program ull be eligible for permanent residency in canada... About residency program, Yes u can study in it... depending on ur grades and requirements etc.. but u wont be penalized for being foreign student!

I seriously think you will be "penalized" for not studying in Canada or US.

They have a terrible GPA conversion method (the WES company if you know) which simply turn your excellent foreign GPA into crap. They believe that is fair and really you cant do anything with that.

My suggestion is unless you have REALLY strong background (like everything is A), otherwise dont put too much hope on it

Archived