Premed 101 Forums

rural suitability.......

Guest notamedic

Guest notamedic

Hey guys,

I'm just thinking about my application a little.........

........I'm from the city and in the section at the end of the application asking us to explain why we would/would not be suitable as a rural student (or something like that) I basically wrote that I would rather be in the city, but I'm flexable.

Did I shoot myself in the foot by being honest?

thanks,

NAM

Guest northernjo

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You were honest, but showed that you would be open to rural positions as a second choice. I'm sure there are many city folk who are insisting that they'd love to be in a rural spot with no experience to back it up. The adcom would see through any fake aspirations pretty quick. It might limit your chances of getting into the NMP or IMP, but it sounds like you wouldn't want to be there anyway. Besides, if you know you'll be practicing in the city in the future, why take a rural spot away from someone who would benefit more from it while denying yourself more relevant city experiences. The majority of the spots are still at UBC in Vancouver and I bet you haven't hurt your chances of getting in there at all. And it won't affect your shot at an interview since you haven't rated your choices yet. Don't worry

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

To second northernjo's response, when I inquired about the "northern/rural" sections of the application, the folks in the Admissions Office said that these will not be used in the scoring of our applications for interview purposes. Therefore, if you are competitive for a UBC medical school interview spot (most especially in the Vancouver arm of the program) then I don't think your response will have any impact on your probability of acceptance. However, as alluded to by northernjo, your response may impact your ability to "match" into a medical school spot in either, the U. Vic. or UNBC arms. Given that you have little interest in attending school there, that point may be moot to you. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

Archived