Premed 101 Forums

total applicants

Guest iddle

The total is estimated at 1500 this year.

"...By Wednesday afternoon, hours before the midnight deadline, about 1,200 people had applied for one of 200 medical-school spots in the province -- with possibly another 300 applications still being processed. Twenty-four spaces each have been assigned to start-up schools at UNBC and the University of Victoria, with the bulk of positions at the well-established medical school at the University of B.C..."

www.princegeorgecitizen.com/

(The related article will only be at this site on Oct 2)

Guest Kirsteen

Good point, so...

2002: ~900 applications/128 spots = 7 applicants per spot

2003: ~600 additional applications/72 new spots = ~8 applicants per spot

2003: ~1500 purported total applications/200 spots = 7.5 applicants per spot

All else being equal, the probability of being admitted this year hasn't changed much, and that's given that there truly are 1500 applicants. :)

Have a great weekend!

Kirsteen

Guest canstowski

But you gotta consider not all 72 spots goes to mainland vancouver (which most ppl applied to) So merely adding up 72 spots to the existing 128 doesn't reflect the true ratio. IN ADDITION, the increased applicant numbers are mostly due to the withdrawal of mcat minimum score restriction. Hence, more ppl with BETTER academic/extra-cirricular activites but poor MCAT can now apply and that could very much increase the minimum raw score for invitiation of interviews. So having 1500 applicants IS a definite problem for average folks like me |I

Guest not rex morgan

Huh??? Seriously, forget the complex algorithms. At this point, nobody can speculate what factors they are using. I understand that it is sooo hard not to really figure out your chances, but honestly, any calculations are strictly guesses at this point. Enjoy your time off. Good luck with the application process.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there canstowski,

Don't worry. :) UBC are supposedly not going to be selecting people for interview based on their campus choice. Therefore, at least at the interview invitation stage, it's fair game for all.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest McCarey007

I tend to be a worrier myself, but hey, what's done is done. :\ All you can really do is prepare you other appliations if you are applying elsewhere.;)

Mccarey

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Everyone,

It is that time of year we set ourselves up to begin stessing about the chances of interview. 1500 seems like alot of people but remember that is the number before assessment. Like all other years there will be some who just don't meet the criteria (last year it was 65) but who apply anyways. There are always alot more people like this than I would have thought.

33-34/50 will likely be the cutoff but what we don't know is how the assessment will go. The NA is completely different this year and I have been told that the assessment of it will be much less subjective. There was too much variation from year to year. This may effect people adversly or very positively. The new categories seem to focus on what people have done without allowing embelishment. What I mean is by only being able to talk about an activity once it does two things. It tells them what you think you got out of it - as that is the category you put it in. And it keeps the content consistent. Instead of the evaluator trying to figure out whether they have already given you marks for that or not. As well, by having the extra category it is really giving an advantage to people with certain experiences. If it is like the last few years each category is worth around 5 but it will be interesting whether they make the total 25 and subdivide it differently or make it out of 30. For those who who don't remember, the categories are 1. Capacity to work with others 2. High level of performance 3. diversity of experience 4. Leadership 5. Service ethics. Maybe they are finally going to get rid of #2 and replace it with the something related to experiences in aboriginal/remote communites. If they just add a new category then it will make it tough as I think #2 is where people have tended to score the least and many have stated on this webpage that they have very little experience in the new category. It is alot of marks if you have no experiences in that area. It is also a big advantage if you do.

I think it is reasonable to consider it will not be the amount of applicants that will change the interview process this year, more likely the way it is assessed. It may be much more difficult this year to get a high mark on your NA. The average last year was 16, it will be interesting to see what it is this year. I suspect that with the new MCAT criteria, the A assessment will also change. I know of people who scored 25/25 on A's their first year applying but bombed on the NA section.

Ultimately, I think nothing will change all that much as everyone will be assessed using the exact same criteria, so the averages will be very similar. I think if there is a change it will be that most of the NA's will be lower so the average may drop slightly and we may actually see a lower cut off for interview. As well there is no mention whether the increase is in-province applicants or OOP. The OOP's could have increased dramatically but that does not mean that there will be more seats for them. Another interesting note is whether there will be an increase in the MD/PhD seats? Although with the problems with funding the new building I am not sure if money will be flowing or not. As it is there have been many changes as it is significantly over budget and they are already making huge cuts to the plans.

Sorry for the rambling and flip flopping, just my 2cents worth!

Soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just to add a few bits re: the rural/remote section of the extracurriculars part of the application, I heard directly from UBC Admissions that this part of the extracurriculars shall not be scored when the application is assessed. It was added simply as an "information gathering" means to help determine whether or not an applicant would be a suitable candidate for one of the two new UBC medical school locations. She mentioned that, completing this section would neither advantage nor disadvantage an applicant's admissability.

As to how the rest of the application shall be marked, who knows? :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi Kirsteen,

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what they would do with that section. It will be interesting to see how they are going to make it "more objective". Hope all the other applications are going well.

Soapy

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

No worries re: the info. :) As to increasing the objectivity, I don't know--here was me thinking UBC was one of the least subjective of all of them. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Check out the update on the UBC Admissions site:

UBC Status Update for Current Applicants

It looks like the total applicant number is closer to 1300 this year and that ~500 interviews will be granted, an increase of roughly 150 interviews from last year. Also interesting, is the fact that a match list will be used to match successful interviewees with their campus location of choice. Ah, how medical school mirrors residency. :)

Cheers, and good luck everyone,

Kirsteen

Archived