Premed 101 Forums

email?

Guest mdhopeful23

Guest Maury1274

bleepo, the people that got the email must have checked the board as soon as they got it. Those that didn't recieve must have found out by chance because not everyone checks this board as often. Therefore, the percentage is high for that reason.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Just so we can all get back to some sense of calm until May 28th rolls around...

I heard from Admissions exactly how this Monday's error occurred. Basically, they were testing the MSWord e-mail merge function for potential use on May 28th. This tool allows the sender to select e-mail recipients to receive the merged e-mail. Ottawa selected a number of individuals from the e-mail list of all interviewed candidates to test the program. Unfortunately, unlike the mail merge function, where the merged mail is viewable after the "merge" button is pressed, Admissions were unaware that pressing "merge" would cause the test e-mail to be sent. However, they realized soon after that it was indeed sent. Since they were able to see to whom the e-mails were sent, and a recall of the test e-mail was sent out shortly thereafter only to those individuals who received the errant e-mail.

Time for a little calm before the 28th. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UOMeds06

I've been assured by the faculty that there was no order to that e-mail that was sent out. They had mentioned that they are still waiting for some thing from OMSAS before they decide who has been accepted....so apparently the list is not yet compiled.

Breathe easy! Have fun for the next few weeks!

UOMeds06

Guest hoping to get in

You just made my weekend:D . I'd been so upset about this crazy email thing. Though the only problem now is that I know how disappointed I might feel on May 28th. If only I didn't want it so badly...

The board is always the best support for the waiting blues. Hope everyone enjoys the next few weeks.

Guest MDSMelissa

Thanks Kirsteen for the info. I'm curious about the e-mail merge, as there were no merge fields in the email. I guess that is because it was last year's email, but if they were testing the merge function, thinking it would just appear in the draft/outbox and not actually send, you'd think there would have been merge fields in the e-mail... Just a curious thought.

Also, I have never heard of e-mail merge, it sounds like a neat function. Which version of office did this appear on? XP? As a big fan of mail merge, I find this new tool very interesting!

This wait is getting to be soooo long! I can't wait till the 28th!

Cheers,

Melissa

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Melissa,

Yes, e-mail merge appears on the XP version of MSWord.

As to what they were doing with it, what fields were missing and at what point the document was sent, who knows. We've 19 days to go to perhaps see the result of the experiment. :)

By the way, if you'd like to find out more about e-mail merge, there are pages available on the Microsoft website. Supposedly it's a decent tool for disseminating newsletters, etc., according to Microsoft.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest d77mah

for all those interested, someone i personally know on admissions told me that if you received this email, then it is almost 100% guarantee that you will also get one on teh 28th!

Congrats to everyone who got one!!

Guest Ian Wong

I guess we will find out for certain at the end of May. Either way, you won't know until then, so all I can suggest is to try to do anything to keep your mind off this admissions process (yeah, I know, easier said than done...). Moreover, there's certainly going to be significant movement on the waitlist as people with multiple acceptances choose their school and decline other invitations, so even if you don't get an outright acceptance at first, you're still in the ball game, it's just that much more waiting.

Ian

Guest UOMeds06

According to the Vice Dean of Admissions, that is not the case. Apparently, they still are/were waiting for something from OMSAS before they could even make their final decisions.

Whether you choose to believe that is up to you, but unless I hear it myself....I wouldn't get too excited or upset about anything until the official release. Any thing can happen...if there's one thing you can count on...it is NOT 100% since offers are conditional.

UOMeds06

Guest hacker

There's hope for everyone. Whether you happened to receive that email or not, there's always a good waitlist to look forward to (fingers crossed) and I don't even think that email got sent to 123 applicants. Probably much less, since they found out about this problem 2 hours after the first email was sent?? who knows really..time will tell

H

Guest Edwarder

I just wanted to comment on this controversy...

I think that if we are looking to trust anyone, it should be the staff at the medical school. Here's why: The entire application process requires your honesty and the medical school acknowledges that any lying from applicants would be grounds for dismissal. Also, not lying is one of the most important attributes of a good doctor. Ottawa has said that the email was sent out randomly. This should be confirmed at the end of the month. If all of the people who received the email get it, the process was not random. That would mean that a medical school lied to its applicants. This would be so horrendously wrong and hippocritical that I cannot personally believe that Ottawa would do such a thing...after making the importance of honesty so clear to applicants. If Ottawa did lie, it would lose much respect and credibility as a medical institution. I think that Ottawa has too much to lose by lying and thus that we should believe that they are telling the truth... that the email was random...by the way- I interviewed there but did not receive that email.

Ed

Guest 15Sacha

I was thinking the same thing, Edwarder. If they had mistakenly sent an email to those people being accepted in the first round, they should admit to it. If I discover there is a corelation between those accepted in the first round and the fake email, then I would lose a lot of respect for this medical school (knowing that they lied to cover their butts). However, I feel bad for all of those who did receive the email if they do not get an email on May 28th. It is sort of a tease and it was very careless to let that error take place. People make mistakes, but lying is no way to take care of mistakes.

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

There's no sense in getting too worked up about this right now. :) One way or another, people will find out for certain at the end of this month, and until then, we're all just speculating.

Ian

Archived