Premed 101 Forums

email?

Guest mdhopeful23

Guest MDSMelissa

Hi Kirsteen,

Don't for one second give up hope! In the recall email they said that they were preparing responses for all 499 interviewees, and that final decisions have not been made yet. If your theory is right, than maybe because your interview was later, and because you are a grad applicant that puts you into a different "pile" and your status hasn't been approved yet.

I'm also curious to see who received the recall email. If only those who received the first one, received the second one, than it seems that the ad com knows exactly who was on the distribution list. But it sounded like they were sending it to everyone ("you may or may not have received an email...").

Thoughts anyone?

Melissa

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ticket

Kirsteen,

I wouldn't worry too much. I don't believe your theory is correct. My interview at Ottawa U went horribly (and I mean bad) as compared to my other interviews - so I'm really not expecting an offer.

Its probably something like the first few in the alphabet. Or the undergrad applicants.

Chin up, girl!!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there MDSMelissa and Ticket,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. :)

Regarding preparation of all responses to all interviewees, it's solely those who receive acceptances who are e-mailed. Everyone else receives word by post, and their e-mail addresses shouldn't be needed; therefore, in terms of probabilities, it seems unlikely that the waitlisted folks' e-mails would be of any importance, post-interview.

Ah, the thesis wrap-up analysis was proceeding relatively smoothly until this morning. It's amazing what an effect these medical school decisions (or not) can have, eh? Onwards and upwards. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MDSMelissa

Hi Kirsteen,

I also understood that it is only the ones receiving acceptances that would get emailed. However this is right out of the recall email

We were preparing an email list for all 499 medical school candidates interviewed by the University of Ottawa

So maybe not?

Melissa

Guest CornuAmmonis

Hi Kirsteen,

This is regarding your comment that only those accepted are on the e-mail list. I don't think this is quite true.

According to Denis' e-mail...and I quote

"We were preparing an email list for all 499 medical school candidates interviewed by the University of Ottawa."

So, all candidates should be e-mailed regardless of acceptance or waitlist.

Guest 15Sacha

Kirsteen, it's not over yet. Please don't give up hope. It may very well be just the undergrads that were emailed. They could have been testing their server and accidently sent them out to the undergrad bunch. You never know, honestly. Anything could have happened. Let's wait and see what happens!

Guest Ticket

From my day at Ottawa U, I was under the impression from Nicole that EVERYONE would get an email on May 28th, saying whether they were waitlisted or accepted. Honestly.

You just never know what those admissions procedures entail So you should stop your fretting right now. :P

Cheers.

Guest mdhopeful23

haha, yea, ive been spreading the word about my 'fake' acceptance at work. people are trying to convince me that ottawa just sent it early and its a good sign. i prefer to think otherwise. there's so many different ways that email could of been sent out..the idea that im actually on the acceptance list is so unlikely. they could of done a sort, or sent the email to the full list (which may not include the grad apps yet because their interviewers were later) you see what i mean? there are endless possibilities as to how this mix-up occured. the probability that its going to be in my favour is small.

i wouldn't read too much into this email either way. to think that this is a 'early invite', only to be crushed when i get my rejection, would really suck.

i will now try to block this event from my mind...ah, but it sure did feel sooo goood for a sec. for a moment, nothing mattered. not work, not $, nothin...ah, the bliss is over :x

Guest Kirsteen

Hi everyone,

I had no idea that e-mails were going to be sent out to all candidates this year from Ottawa. I may be completely misinformed, but I thought that only offers of acceptance were sent via e-mail last year? Even if so, policies do change, I suppose. Overall, I guess this is just one of those experiences that make us all a bit hardier, right?

Incidentally, at this very moment, it would be lovely to be on a golf course somewhere. Those locales have the most magical way of allowing you to put aside every other thought in favour of focusing on a little white ball. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Adamanda

I too received the email and thought for like 10 minutes I was on my way to Ottawa U. I was in shock, so excited and then totally crashed when I read the second email!

I am a grad applicant, first time applying.

Guest mydream88

Hi all,

I think that this was a random error. If it wasn't then there would be no reason for Ottawa U to just come clean with their mistake and reveal that there was indeed good news for some today. I hope that for the rest of you who didn't receive such an email, that you aren't frettng AT ALL, who knows, you may be the ones that have good news on the way, the main thing is, NO ONE KNOWS.

If ottawa did in fact by mistake reveal some persons' status today, it would be great if they could just explain exactly who received this notification, etc. Maybe then the rest of the schools in the OMSAS agreement could also reveal a bit earlier their news too ;) .

good luck and who knows,

it's just another big mystery of this process,

mydream88:)

Guest hoping to get in

Well I didn't get an email, nor a correction one. I'm not a grad applicant and never applied before. Like Kirsteen I have a very bad feeling about this. I bet that everyone who got an email will get good news on the 28th. Arggg... this is going to make the wait even harder:\

Less hopeful...

Guest mistah anderson

I think you guys who didn't get the email are getting far too concerned about nothing. Let's assume that there is a perfect relationship between who got the email and who ultimately gets accepted at U of O. The email only applies to the people who get accepted in the first round, a substantial number of which will end up going to other med schools, leaving spaces that will go to members of the 'good' waiting list.

Given that Ottawa usually ends up sending acceptances to about 100 (give or take) of the top waitlisted candidates, not getting an email at the end of May should not be the end of the world.

Having said all this, we can't even assume at this point that there is any pattern behind who got the email and who did not.

Enjoy your summer and stop worrying about stuff you can't control. I know you will anyway, but at least try not to!!!

Guest hacker

We know this email got sent mistakenly to some group or some mailing list but we have no clue what the title of that mailing list is? Accepted? Good waitlisted? or bad listed? so for all those who did not receive the email, there's no need to worry. You might end up being the lucky mailing list ;)

H

Guest hoping to get in

You guys are right of course, we don't know what the email list means. The wait is just so hard and second guessing yourself is so easy. Thanks for the support and in 23 days (yes I counted |I ) we'll know.

hoping

Guest thesaug

Hi,

From the interview day, I remember that it was said only those who will be accepted in the first round will be emailed on May 28th. After that, I am not sure who will be emailed and who will not.

Good luck to everyone!

thesaug

Guest Tal

I am an undergrad applicant too and have never applied to ottawa before and I didn't receive any initial email or recall one :(

It's really hard not to think this is a bad thing. It's hard to beleive that these emails were sent out COMPLETLY randomly. I mean it was an acceptance email, it makes sense that they were using that email and modifying it (like Kristeen said). I'm kinda sad I heard about this now. Oh well, there's nothing that can be done but wait... (what else is new:) )

Guest dantheman30

I think you are reading too much into this... if you look at old threads for when people get the "acceptance email", you can see that these emails were recieved up until 5pm. Some people find out at 11, and some at 3.... not just at 8am which is when i recieved my "fake" email a couple of days ago. either way you will know on the 28th!

Dan

Guest Bleepo

Hey guys,

Just to add my two-cents worth ... at least 10/12 ppl in this thread received an email ...and although it would be great if all 10 really did get accepted, i think in reality, the percentage is a bit high. I could be wrong, but just a thought ... so whoever didn't get an email, don't start worrying yet!

Guest Maury1274

it's probably easier for those that got the email to say that it was just a mistake. It doesn't matter what time the emails were sent out, but what does matter is that they were sent at all. But, be honest! What are the chances in hell that thy would send out an email to random individuals. Especially since it was an old acceptance email. Yes, we will see on May 28th. But, let's be realistic folks! It was a big boo boo on their part and they are probably trying to cover their tracks. They sent the recall email to the exact same individuals. Gee, sure seems like it was the accepted individuals for the first round that got the email. Since they only email those for first round acceptances.

I know you guys don't wanna get your hopes up high, but lets be realistic. I'd bet millions on this. However, it isn't over because the good waitlisters will most probably get in anyhow. Good luck everybody!;)

Archived