Premed 101 Forums

osap and tuition in the news...

Guest mdhopeful23

Guest avisee

I'm all for upping tuition if they can do something better than increasing loan moneys. I mean, yes, cheaper tuition would be nice, but at this point, unfeasible unless you're willing to trade quality for price. McDonald's U, anyone?

I know deregulation is usually a nasty word, but those schools that have been smart about imposing it (Queen's being a good example) are also able to offer a lot more in terms of busaries, scholarships and other student funding (on-campus job opportunities, project funding, etc).

I don't think raising tuition and OSAP levels to go along will really solve anything. OSAP currently is insufficient to cover the cost of university, so why would anyone expect that giving lower-income students even more financial burden would improve their situation (not to mention, improve the willingness of banks to carry these bankruptcy-geared loans). Doing both at the same time may not encourage universities to invest the extra funding into financial support programs, since they can justify that extra OSAP will handle the difference. On the other hand, it's pretty unfair to raise tuition further and still expect students to get by on decade-old loan calculations.

Good question, though. Is there any productive solution?

• 11 months later...

Archived