Premed 101 Forums

Pass/Fail

Guest cutieyellow

Guest cutieyellow

Hey!

I was wondering if most (if not all except for mine) schools worked on a Pass/Fail basis? I'm currently in at Laval University in Qc City and it's grades....all the pre-clinical yrs are grades...and everyone's just running around like chicken without heads stressing (it's the nerd in us that just won't let go).

I was wondering if it was like that for anyone else ?! Then again, as i'm reading about people being in debt and stuff and think..omg my tuition's like $1000 a yr i say Yay for Quebec ! :)

Guest kosmo14

My class Med II is on the grades system, which really sucks because it is much more stressful and a little more competitive (although not nearly as bad as it could be). The school wised up last year and the Med I class is on a pass/fail system now, and the future classes will also be p/f. Our class is the last ones to go through the grades system.

Guest cutieyellow

It's funny how people are competitive because the fact of the matter is, pre clinical years count very little in the choice of residency...anyhow, i guess it's our nature. It is definitely stressful for no reason though :o

Guest stevetilley

We have Hons/Pass/Fail at MUN, and it rocks (no pun intended).

Hons just isn't worth the extra effort. I just concern myself with passing and that's it. Relatively low stress. I think that during preclerkship i'll be able to grow back some of the hairs I lost as an undergrad, when I was constantly stressing all the time for a 4.0 in every course.

Guest seedstrike

Queen's is H/P/F as well.

Pass is 60%

Honors is 80% (I'm not completely sure about this one as I'm simply aiming for a passing grade).

A grand for tuition? We pay almost 15 times that amount!!

Guest Jerika81

U of C is just pass/fail - no honours.

The passing grade is set before each test and is based on the idea that if you know everything that's really important, but not everything that's semi-important, then you will pass. It's usually between 65-70%.

My school is P/F too for the first two years, although I go to an American school. Passing is 2 SDs below the mean, usually around 60% give or take a couple percentage points.

Funny thing, I still find myself going for top 25% even though I know it makes no difference. We are not ranked or anything. Guess it is the inner gunner in me.

Guest physiology

Hey Curtieyellow,

Is your tuition SERIOUSLY $1000 per year? Once you factor in books, student fees and the like, how much does it cost you?

You must be a resident of Quebec too. I was at Laval on bursary to study French. Great university, although, not very pretty in the summer. I remember lots and lots of brown grass.

Haha...

Oh, and how easy is it for you to do a residency at McGill or another Canadian med school (where you have to match with CARMs?)

Do you guys have your own Quebec version of CaRMs?

Guest hringrose

Hi,

Just wondering if you could tell me more about your experience at Laval. I did the bursary program at U. Sainte Anne (Nova Scotia) two summers ago. I am hoping to do it again at Laval this spring. What is the typical day like?

Thanks

HR

Guest cutieyellow

Hey Physiology/Seedstrike

Tuition is roughly 1000/semester (did i say YEAR up there? oops sorry). In fact, this semester, my tuition fees (this factors in all the hidden administrative/school clubs/student fees and other stuff funds) was around 900. So per year, it's near 2000 but not quite.

If you factor in the books, this semester cost me a bundle, but only because i bought the Harrison's (near 300 bucks) and Netter's and other random reference books. I shouldn't have to spend that much on books anymore in the next few years. So....let's factor in about...300 bucks/semester for books.

And i'm definitely a resident of Quebec, had i not been, tuition would have been higher and it would have been nearly impossible to get accepted into Laval Univ who only takes like a few out of province students (it also takes 2 international students, in a class of 185!).

As for residency, seeing how i'm in first year, i'm not really looking into it as of yet. I do know that we're not in CARMS and that we have our own little system. However, we can apply thru CARMS as well so that gives us a little bonus. I'm not sure exactly how it works though. I will have to be enlightened soon i would assume but in the meantime, i'm worrying about my exams.

As for you hringrose, Laval is a great school. I enjoy it a lot. We have everything from PBL (6 students/group) to small groups (30 students) to lecture based classes (the whole class of 180). It's good because it allows everyone who learns differently to be efficient in some kind of way. I feel as though Laval is a lot like my undergrad in that all i do is travel from one class to another :)

Finally only complaint i STILL have is the stupid stupid grading system. No matter how hard i try to push it aside, i'm still aiming for that 4.0 (and pretty damn close i am too lol). Class averages are almost always in the nineties. But it's soooo stressful. Urggghhhh. :eek

CY

• 1 year later...

Archived