Premed 101 Forums

Financial Burden of Medical School

Guest UOMeds05

Guest coldspell

Medicine seems to be one of those professions that tends to select for higher family incomes. This is obviously not the rule, but, speaking from experience, it can be very difficult to fit in volunteering and extracurriculars while trying to work as much as you can to support yourself while trying to help your family. Kids from lower income families also tend not to have some of the opportunities (ie music lessons, travel, sports) that kids from a higher income bracket may have.

Coming from a severely disadvantaged economic background myself, I can say that finances definitely are a factor in applying to med school. While almost everyone, regardless of background, graduates with crazy amounts of debt, I think the difference lies in the undergrad/application/med school process itself. I've been lucky enough to recieve full osap and scholarship/bursaries, and that, along with a part time job, has gotten me through undergrad, but applying to med has been really difficult.

Writing the MCAT, about $300, isn't really a huge financial commitment, but when you're trying to help your parents with rent and younger siblings with living expenses, it gets tight. I honestly didn't know if I could get the money together to write until the paperwork was due in the middle of July, which really cuts into study time. Taking a prepatory course was entirely out of the question. The $500 or so required to actually apply also makes a dent; I had to seriously consider what schools to apply to, trying to save even a little by not applying where I didn't think I had a chance. Even little things like figuring out how to pay for a train ticket to London or Ottawa for an interview can be a huge headache (and can mean extra hours at work at the expense of school, which can mean lower grades, which can mean no interview...etc).

I guess my point is the issue of a debt load isn't even a consideration for a lot of people from lower income brackets; you end up being more concerned with being able to stay afloat. You worry that you don't measure up in certain ways. That being said, I think it can be done, and you end up with the gifts of perspective, empathy, sacrifice and responsibility pretty early, which can't be bad for a career in medicine.

I hope this helps!

Guest cheech10

Coldspell,

I had those same thoughts when I applied last year. It seems that everything looked for in an application: GPA, MCAT, volunteer work, EC's, everything, is significantly easier for those with more money. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this will change any time soon.

Guest walton1

Hello all,

One way of paying for med school that hasn't been mentioned yet is the Medical Officer Training Plan with the Canadian Forces. Of course, it isn't for everyone, but the plan is quite generous. They pay for necessary equipment & books and tuition. On top of that, you get a salary that starts in the neighbourhood of $3000/month (*while* you're taking classes -- I think it goes up to $80,000/year or so when you start practising).

In return you work as a GP with them for 4 or 5 years.

Again, definitely not a program for everyone, but one that I'm considering at least.

Guest UOMeds05

i agree The Canadian Forces is an excellent program with great incentives but one should not have to "settle" with being a GP if they desire another specialty, or the return of service just because it is the only means of financing medical school.

I am talking about equal access.

Just to clarify UOMeds05's comment, you have to do a 2 year family meds residency after graduation int he MOTP program, and it really does limit what you can do in terms of specialty but you still have the opportunity to specialize.

The return of service is the other catch. I agree that it is a drag depending on what one's plans were, but at the same time as many of our moderators have attested to, financing is doable for everyone though it is quite difficult. Therefore, if one goes into the MOTP, it is a choice they are making and they are bound to the responsibilities that they took on by making that choice.

Guest bcdentalgirl

Hi,

I too am considering the officer training program. With fees at UBC FOD skyrocketing beyond student loans and lines of credit, it's starting to look appealing.

I love those outfits too (just kidding!)

Does anyone here know someone who's gone through the program? What would be some drawbacks?

bcdentalgirl,

I don't know about the meds army program, but the dents one was cut down drastically last year from about 50 spots nationally to about 10, which makes it quite competitive. In terms of drawbacks, the main gripe is loss of freedom, because you might not be able to choose where you are stationed, leading to problems with family commitments etc. I think summer vacation during school is a goner too due to officer training and such. I never gave the armed forces deal a thought being the sedentary guy that I am :)

Hi bcdentgirl,

My friend's brother went through that program. He is currently serving with the Armed forces as a physician. He and his wife are both physicians (only he went through MOTP). He had been in North Bay for a number of years and was just relocated to Halifax. As toothy mentioned, your available summers must be spent undergoing basic training etc... However, when in med school, you really only have the first summer "off" anyways. As for family commitments it is quite difficult however my friend's brother and his wife have two children and they do quite well as a family. Relocating is difficult and he just found out that in February he is going to have to serve on a Navy ship for 6 mos while it goes to the Middle East. That is something you have to be prepared to do when you are asked. Also, as we have already mentioned you are really limited as to what you can do post-graduation. First of all you have to do a family meds residency, and second you have to commit for a certain number of years before you are eligible to leave the military (5 years I think). You can do some postgraduate specialty training after residency but as I said it is limited. So though the financial aspect of this program is very appealing, there is much to consider, a lot of sacrifices have to be made. It's a huge tradeoff.

One of the benefits of working for the military, however, is that you get great benefits and after working for 20 years you are eligible to retire with full pension. This is what my friend's brother is really looking forward to because his 20 years comes in 2009. So the bottomline, financially it is appealing but be prepared for a certain type of lifestyle that is quite demanding.

Hope that helps.

Ceds

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived