Premed 101 Forums

Are there any entrance scholarships?

Guest happy2bme

Guest happy2bme

Are there any entrance scholarships to people who have the highest application score(GPA+MCAT+interview) or are entrance scholarships based on GPA only??????

Guest silverjelly86

I think there are 10 for highest interview/MCAT/AGPA composite score, and I believe that they are each for $5000.

Guest silverjelly86

This is what the 2003 annual Faculty of Medicine report says:

www.umanitoba.ca/academic...port03.pdf

"To encourage the most academically accomplished students, the Faculty began in 2001 to offer 10 scholarships of $5000 to accepted students achieving the highest composite score of admission criteria. The composite score is based on the adjusted grade point average, the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) score and the results of a Personal Assessment

(based on the student biographical sketch, letters of reference and an interview)."

Guest VS12

God, it'd be so sweet to get one of those. I'm almost certain a friend of mine is gonna get on though.

Geniuses.

Guest silverjelly86

That'd be nice, but only about a 10% chance. And the smarties with really high MCAT scores will get it.

Guest sunE

You can think of it really as a big coupon since first year tuition is more than $5000.

"Since you are a high ranking applicant, here is a $5000 coupon....expires: soon"

Guest fever meds

smarties with high mcat scores? depends on your definition of high. you don't have to be insanely high. 34+ would put you in the range. anyone with a decent MCAT score is capable of getting the scholarship. but the scholarships are not based simply on GPA and MCAT. The PAS score has a significant impact. I think the Faculty would rather give a scholarship to a capable and well rounded individual, than the next Tier 1 Canadian Chair Researcher without strong social skills (I mean STRONG not average).

Finally, it's cheaper to go to med school than it is to go to some school like SJR. At UWO and Queens, tuition is around $20 k year. I looked at Washington U in St. Louis when applying....it was around $40 k/yr US (without living expenses), Harvard was similar. Yes $30k for 4 years of Med is a lot of money. But the opportunity to learn medicine I think is priceless. I couldn't possibly imagine doing anything else, except perhaps, building the next software megamonopoly...[to be continued]

Guest Jag

lol, I just recently reached my $20,000 spent anniversary for the year. That's pretty terrible considering I live at home and have no known major expense whatsover.

Guest fever meds

$7,500 tuition

$3,000 tablet computer

$2,000 books

$1,200 equipment

$2,000 spring break trip

15,700 - but I realized I had low estimates for a lot of the

still it could be worse. dentistry tuition is about $25k/year.

Archived