Premed 101 Forums

3 years of undergrad b4 med?

Guest Vitor Belfort

Guest Vitor Belfort

Hi, i've read on some posts that 3 year applicants are usually not considered as highly as 4 year applicants.

However this maybe true....is it true if i get a degree in 3 years??

im doing a 3 year BA in Economics at the University of Manitoba in Canada. Will i still be at a disadvantage IF i get a degree in 3 years??

ThankS!

If you do your degree in three years then it's not a problem. As long as you HAVE a degree, 120 credit-hours, then you should be on par with people who have degrees.

Guest Vitor Belfort

THanks for the reply moo.

But i am pretty sure that the 3 year general BSc/BA at the u of M consists of only 90 credit hours...instead of 120....?

Guest Ian Wong

AMCAS (the organization that forwards your medical school application to each US medical school) will get a listing of all your university courses and their credit-hours, so the medical schools will be able to see how many courses you took.

Most US universities award Bachelor's degrees after 4 years of study, so who knows how they will look at your application. Most likely they would just take your U of M Bachelor's at face value, irrespective of how many years it actually took you to complete it. There's also the time-factor involved, which is also why fourth year applicants have an advantage over third year applicants. That additional year is 12 more months to do research, do extra-curricular work, go volunteering, do travelling, hold down a job or leadership position, mature a little more and have a little bit more life experience, re-write the MCAT if necessary, etc.

Ian

Archived