Premed 101 Forums

secondary apps

Guest jeffsimz

Guest jeffsimz

For anyone who has applied to the states, generally how long are secondary applications? I know each school must be different but generally speaking, are we talking huge essays for each school or just short answer type questions that will take a few hours. Thanks.

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Jeff,

You're not going to like my answer, but it really depends on the school. Some schools are pretty much just after your money...therefore for the secondary application, you pretty much have to fill out your name and send in a money order for a large sum of money! On the other hand, some schools pretend money is not the reason for the secondary and have you answer a few short answer questions and send in a money order. And lastly, there are some schools, like Duke, Northwestern, just to name a couple, where they (probably) really look at the secondary and have maybe a couple of longer answer (essay type questions) for you to answer.

That being said, for many of the schools, the questions asked where similar...why medicine? Anything to add to the primary application? Why that particular school? I found it generally took me less time as I went through secondary applications.

The weirdest thing was that several schools asked if any members of my immediate family were either grads/residents/faculty at that particular med school. I guess connections matter somewhat.

Guest WesternGirl

Hi Jeff,

In my opinion, yes, I would put the best stuff in the primary. Because if they don't like the your primary, you won't have a chance to write the secondary...

Archived