Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS 2004

Guest jeffsimz

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yep, I'm in the process of completing it and so far, so smooth. What is causing you the strife?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest jeffsimz

Hi. I entered in all of my coursework but when I go to view my GPA, it shows up 0. Does your calculated GPA show up. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Guest Chieka

Hi Jeff,

I had the same problem with AMCAS this year. I called them, and they said not to worry about it. Eventually, my grades showed up. I think it may have something to do with the grade conversion table. Just make sure that you have your school's name in correctly, and you should be fine.

C.

Here is a AMCAS help thread from another forum www.studentdoctor.net/for...adid=67290

(studentdoctor.net - it's for American premeds). If you are still having trouble, maybe you could post on there too.

• 1 month later...
Guest thesaug

Hi,

I am also filling out the AMCAS application, and have been having a bit of difficulty. I have taken summer courses at UofT, but when I enter UofT in the Schools Attended Section, it asks me for majors, minors or degrees. What should I put here? I have only taken one course at a time.

Also, what is the UofT conversion for credits and hours? When I want to enter the courses I have taken at UofT, the system prompts me to enter in a conversion system, so I am not sure what to put.

If anyone has any idea how to solve these two problems, please let me know. Thanx!

Guest thesaug

Hi...i had one more issue...

When it comes to the transcript section, there is this line regarding an additional form to be attached to the official transcript:

AMCAS encourages you to utilize these forms, and to inform the Registrars from whom you request transcripts that this form should be attached to the Offical Transcript when it is sent to AMCAS.

What form is this?

Guest katwoman2003

I'm in the process of completing the application too. I was wondering how did you guys decide which schools to apply to. There seems to be so many options!

Guest jeffsimz

I submitted my application yesterday. Here's what I can tell you.

You will be able to print out the transcript form once you have filled in the section "Transcript Request". I had my registrar's office send this sheet in with my transcript, but I have not gotten confirmation of my transcript being recieved yet.

As for the schools, I looked at the MSAR and saw different schools' average GPA's and MCATs and compared them to mine. I'll pretty much go anywhere I get in. Hope that helps.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There are two good resources that you may wish to draw upon when completing the AMCAS application. 1) the "help" button, which leads to a menu customized to the screen from which you've pressed the "help" icon; 2) the full-length pdf file of the application guide. Answers to questions surrounding transcripts and the deciphering of them to fit the AMCAS system are all in there. (I'd be happy to provide some more in-depth answers, but the process of entering grades correctly is a fairly long one to try to explain. The AMCAS materials lay it out fairly well.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cause2003

Does anyone have this problem? When I go to add a postsecondary experience and press the "add" button I get an error message with a bunch of code. I've been through a few days ago but can't get in now. Is this cause the system is busy?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

It could well be due to system traffic as I didn't have this problem at all in the previous weeks, when traffic may have been a little thinner. Keep trying, and if it's bugging you a lot, send AMCAS an e-mail, or give them a call.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest nmcorp33

I have a question on when the best time to submit your amcas. Did I miss it already? Everywhere online, there are mentions of July 1st. How bad would it be if I didn't submit it on that day, but I submitted a couple days later? Thanks for your help.

P.S. Is anyone else having problems entering in info on the amcas website?

Guest Mala2003

The name of my high school does not appear in the pop down menu. I can't seem to get passed this stage without selecting a school. Anyone else have this problem?

Guest premed81

Hi Jeffsimz,

I wanted to know if you could tell me exactly what you did in regards to getting the transcripts to AMCAS. I'm a little confused about that and would greatly appreciate some help. Thanks

Guest cause2003

hey Kristen, I'm still having the problem of adding the post secondary experiences. I emailed AMCAS on friday, but it's the weekend so I doubt their checking it. I'm so close to being done.

To the person who can't find their highschool I had the same problem, as there was a Saint Thomas ect which was in a different city, then I found an abreivated St. Thomas. Maybe check for short forms.

Just a word of advice... when I was completing AMCAS two years ago, I learned not to email them. They won't get back to you for weeks. Instead call them and get it straightened out right away. As for transcripts, always follow up on it. They have a tendency to lose and misplace transcripts.

Guest Chieka

I agree with Moo's advice. Calling is definitely the way to go. You get to speak to a real, live person ;) who is usually pretty helpful. This year (I guess it's last year now, eh?) I had problems with my MCAT scores which were filed under a different number than my general app. I called them, and did some faxing, and everything was straightened out the same day.

To the poster who asked about when to submit the AMCAS app, I submitted mine Sept. 25. I don't advise this, as many schools in the states go by "rolling admissions". That is, schools consider applications as they come in and start interviewing and offering admissions long in advance of their set deadline for receiving applications (I believe the earliest deadline is October 15). The July 1 date is likely the earliest date you can submit your AMCAS app. A good chunk of applicants are aware of rolling admissions and submit their AMCAS apps on the earliest date. It is therefore to your advantage to get your app in asap. This is especially crucial for Canadian students applying to state schools, which tend to be harder to get into.

That said, don't stress too much if you can't get it in till mid July, or even August. If your stats are decent, you still have a shot at admission. I think Sept. 25 is kind of late, though. ;)

C.

*Edited for clarity*

Guest thesaug

Hi...this is a bit of messed up question...

For the personal statement, is it ok if there are no spaces between the separate paragraphs (and instead, just put an extra space in front of the first line), or have most of the people here placed an extra line?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there guys,

The earliest date for submitting the AMCAS application was June 1st, but you can submit right up to differing months in the fall (they differ depending on the school). However, like peachy said, many of the schools use a rolling admissions process, so it's in your best interest to submit your application as early as possible. It does seem to take them some time to collate your electronic application with your transcripts, etc., and then zip all of that out to the individual medical schools.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Mala2003

I can't seem to understand how to fill out the course work section. My biggest problem is how to fill in the credit hours since this doesn't appear in my transcript. I did my undergrad at UofT. Can someone else - whose been to UofT and whose filled out the AMCAS, please give me an example of how I should go about filling out this section?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I had to enter UofT course info into AMCAS. There are a string of commands that you need to go through to enter the coursework properly. UofT courses convert to a 6.0 point scale, and rather than potentially giving you some incorrect information that may pop from the top of my head, I'd recommend that you have a read of the "help" section of the AMCAS website. That's where all the info was that I needed to figure this part out.

If all else fails, give AMCAS a wee shout!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest BrainDrain

The credit hours for UofT are listed on those extra pages that come with your transcript. For the purposes of AMCAS, full courses at UofT are worth 6.0, half-courses are 3.0

Sometimes schools might say they require for example, 8.0 credit hours in biology...that simply means a full course + lab component. You don't need to worry about that until secondaries arrive.

Guest thesaug

Hi everyone!

I just submitted my AMCAS application and was wondering if anyone knew how long is it until AMCAS will send it off to the schools I selected?

Thanks!

Good luck to everyone!

Guest premed81

Hi Thesaug,

I'm going to send my AMCAS application soon too, but I'm not in a rush at the moment. I was just curious as to what schools you chose. I find that many of the American schools have strong preference for US citizens or students of that particular state. I've emailed all the schools that I'm interested in, and almost all have responded. Most are very encouraging of Canadian students applying, but some schools have also warned that the standards are even higher for out-of-state or non-US citizen students. Also, thought I haven't read your other messages, have you taken the MCAT already? I'd greatly appreciate a response. Bye for now.

Archived