Premed 101 Forums

MD From US, Practice in Canada???

Guest thesaug

Guest thesaug

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know that if you get your MD degree from a US school, will it still be possible to come back to Canada to practice??? (Or maybe the more important question is can someone with an MD degree from the US get accepted into the Canadian residency programs???)

Thanks!

Guest darklord

Well, I will have an MD from the US at the end of this year. I intend to practice in Canada. According to Carms and some schools graduates of US medical schools LCME accredited now are able to apply for first iteration match in Canada. This is true for the provinces of Ontario and BC as far as I know now.

Guest thesaug

So do you mean that only certain U.S. medical schools are LCME approved? Then does it depend on which school you complete your MD degree at in order for you to practice in Canada? Or am I completely wrong here?

no, all US med schools are "equivalent" in that they are all accredited by the LCME (except for D.O. schools). However the quality among the schools varies considerably. There was a recent study which showed some schools like Howard and Meharry were training somewhat incompetent physicians (there's a link on SDN to the study), but these are predominantly black colleges who accept students who come from a disadvantaged backgrounds and who have much lower stats so that may have something to do with it.

Guest thesaug

Thanks moo and darklord...

I was wondering then is there a list some where or stats available that indicate the U.S. schools from which Canadian students have a chance to get admission into Canadian residency programs???? Is CARMS the best source for this?

Thanks...

Archived