Premed 101 Forums

Summer Research

Guest Chieka

It's been quiet here lately... Where's everybody at? :b

Anyhow, to current med students, what do you think about doing summer research in the summer (with UCONN) immediately before matriculation? I've heard that this is the last "free" summer before the madness that is med school starts, and that I should take time off to travel. What do you think?

Thanks!

C.

No, the real LAST free summer you'll ever have is the one after your M1 year. I relaxed the summer before med school, did almost nothing and I don't regret a bit of it.

As for this upcoming summer, I will definitely not do anything too taxing. I might shadow my family physician back in Canada, just to try to get my clinical skills up to par, do a bit of traveling, might tutor a bit, take a spanish course (for fun of course), but I definitely do not want to do any sort of research.

It might be a good idea to do research if you're really into it and are hoping to match into a competitive residency. For me though, I am 99.999% sure I have to do a year of internal med anyway for what I want to eventually do, and it's not too hard to match into that. Hence, I am taking it easy.

Archived