Premed 101 Forums

To UNCChapelHill

Guest Thewonderer

Guest Thewonderer

Hi,

Just wondering what your story is. Why did you apply to UNC? I did not even think about it back then since I concentrated on private med schools. Did you have to pay 4-years of tuition + living expense up front? Do you plan to stay in the states or Canada for residency? Where else did you interview back then? That list of schools could help future internationals/canadians applying. I am interested since many people I know are in the states for med school.

Cheers.

Guest UNCchapel hill

Hi, Well my story is one of pure luck. I had applied to many private schools in the US, and randomly some states schools. Everyone told me that i was wasting my money applying to state schools, since they did not accept out of state students. Well "everyone" is wrong. Although most state schools have a required quota to residents they also accept out of state students. I interviewed at all the state schools that I had applied to. None of them made an issue of my canadian citizenship.

Initially UNC was not on my mind since I was told by all my friends that they would not accept me. I had already accepted another school (private, and very expensive), when I got the call from UNC. UNC is one of the best schools in the country and the tuition is even less then most canadian school, so it was easy to decline the other offers.

As for money, you do not need to pay everything up front. All you need is a document from the bank saying you can pay for school to get your visa. The best thing about Med school, is that if you do well enough (you don't have to be the top in the class) you can get alot of scholarships that will essentially pay for tuition.

I am happy I am here, and more happy that i did not listen to people during my application. If you are interested in a school, the only thing you have to loose by applying is a few dollars, and you stand a chance to gain a great deal. goodluck with your applications.

Guest Thewonderer

thanks for the info!

do you have a list of state schools that granted you interviews?

I do know that U of Wash does not accept internationals (or anyone outside of the wyoming, washington, Dakota, regions).

MCP also does not accept Canadians even though it is private.

I am from vancouver as well, so are, let me count, five other friends of mine who are in American med schools as well. I think that most of us do plan to stay in the states for residency.

my e-mail is cupholder_2000@yahoo.com

we can talk!

Guest WesternGirl

Hi TheWonderer,

I'm also a Canadian who applied to US schools. I received interviews at three state schools so I know they accept Canadians - SUNY(Syracuse), Penn State and Wayne State (Detroit). And I don't think I have to pay all four years' tuition upfront.

Guest Cassie

Hi guys/gals

How are you paying for school are their loans available.

If you dont mind me asking, what were your stats like (GPA,MCAT) and other activities when applying to state schools.

Thanks very much. (From a sad Canadian candidate, waitlisted in Canada for the second year in a row :( )

Cassie

Guest Thewonderer

To WesternGirl,

Thanks for the info! SUNY's are always seen as mystery to me. But if you receive interview from there, then SUNY-Syracuse must accept Canadian. I believe that Penn State and Wayne State are both private schools. Penn State gets lots of funding from Hershey Foundation and counts as a private school. I could be wrong though. Did you get acceptance letters from those three schools and did they include financial instructions with them? The letters asking for upfront $$$ from Wash U, Cornell and Univ. of Penn came with acceptance letters.

To Cassie,

Finance.....from parents' savings. A friend of mine got CanHelp. I went to undergrad in the US so my situation does not fit yours perfectly. My friends who got accepted in the states all have 85%+ average and 36+ MCAT. But if you are shooting for middle of the road (all schools in N. America are excellent), 3.5 (converted to AMCAS GPA) and 33 should be good enough for you to give it a decent shot (but of course, anything is possible. 3.3 and 29 can get you in too, but probably less of a chance). EC's wise, normal stuff: piano for 10+ years, research, some volunteer and one or two clubs/intramurals. No olympic-caliber activity :)

Cheers!

Guest WesternGirl

Hi TheWonderer,

I think Wayne is a public school (they accept about 10% out of state students, incl. Canadians). I think you may be right about Penn State. I haven't heard back from these two schools since my interview and I'm on the high-priority wait list for Syracuse. If I hear anything about financial matters, I'll let you know. Wayne State just said that I would have to be able to pay the fees on my own, without assistance from the school.

Guest browsing

I would like to know if the states has a higher number of seats per population or fewer applicants per population, leading it to appear easier to get in.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest avenirv

if you are so kind, please let me know if the upfront money the us schools ask for must cover the tuition (which comes to about u$ 115k/4 years; ivy league talks about u$ 28k/year tuition) only or for all expenses (including living expenses).

thank you!

Guest Thewonderer

upfront money usually include tuition + all expenses.

so it is 250K US upfront in total.

Some schools don't ask that much (i.e. just year by year). You should contact them individually.

Archived