Premed 101 Forums

Need Advice

Guest Meds4Me

Guest Meds4Me

Okay, here's the deal. I'm planning on applying to American med schools for the 2003 application cycle. I wrote the mcat last august and did really great in the all sections except for the verbal section. At the time I did not release my scores. I'm planning on writing the mcat again in august to up my verbal score. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and release my scores from last august anyways. My reasons for wanting to release them is that I want the admissions committe to know that I'm not hididng anything - I didn't bomb the mcat I just bombed one section. Also, since most schools use rolling admissions I'm wondering if it would help for me to release them and still note that I am re-writing in August. My reasons for not wanting to release them is that some schools average multiple sets of mcat scores so I don't want that to hurt me. Hence my dillemma....My gpa is around 3.8 from an Ontario university (if that helps). Any adivce would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Guest BrainDrain

Meds4Me,

This topic has been discussed on the SDN forum and the consensus is that even if you plan on writing the august MCAT, it is best to get your primary AMCAS application in as soon as possible (June) which means you should release your previous MCAT, and check off that you plan on writing the august one. That way you can begin on your secondaries earlier and subsequently have your file complete when the august scores are released in October. Some schools may even grant you an interview based on those old scores!

BrainDrain

Guest Ian Wong

I agree with BrainDrain. If you're applying for this year regardless, I'd get my completed apps in as early as possible, which means releasing the first set of MCAT scores, and then dealing with the second set of scores once they arrive.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived