Premed 101 Forums

MSTP

Guest Angelussum

Guest Angelussum

Does anyone know if Canadian students can get accepted into a MSTP program (or a similiarily funded MD/PhD program) at an American school?

Guest peachy

Yes, Canadians can be accepted to MD/PhD programs in the US, with funding. However, I'm pretty sure that MSTP funding, in particular, is only open to Americans. Check out this site for a partial list of programs that fund international students, and in general, the studentdoctor.net MSTP forum has a lot of information about MSTP.

Guest peachy
Thanks for the links! What do you think the differences would be to pursue a md/phd in the US instead of Canada? Ultimately, I think I want to come back to Canada to practice but I'm wondering where I would have the best opportunities and support.
It really depends, imho, in what you want out of MD/PhD, where you'd be most comfortable, what area of research you are interested in, etc. I don't think it's an issue of "Canada" vs "US", but rather that every school has its strengths and weaknesses. I only applied to the U of T MD/PhD program, so I didn't look too carefully into the US or other Canadian programs. If you look at the U of T MD/PhD graduates page, you'll see that they don't seem to have any problem getting a job wherever they want.

One difference that I remember being surprised by, in a discussion on studentdoctor.net, is that in the US and MD/PhD degree is frequently _not_ considered to be a full MD and PhD. Apparently both components of the program are typically compressed in US schools. At U of T, on the other hand, MD/PhD is a full and complete MD and a full and complete PhD. Other Canadian programs are different.

Maybe you've already posted on studentdoctor.net, but if not, I'd check it out. That's really a better place to find out more about American MD/PhD programs, imho.

Guest Angelussum

That's true. Mind if I ask why you specifically chose to apply to only U of T's MD/PhD program?

That's an interesting point. I'll be sure to look around on their forums for that. I imagine there would be differences between the two anyways.

Guest peachy
Mind if I ask why you specifically chose to apply to only U of T's MD/PhD program?
Sure. I didn't apply to the US because I don't have any desire to leave Canada, and I believe that U of T offers all the opportunities that American schools do. I was also very turned off by reading that in the US, MD/PhD supposedly isn't equivalent to separate MD and PhD degrees, as I wrote above.

As to not applying to other Canadian schools, U of T has, in my opinion, the most research opportunities and the best established MD/PhD program in Canada. It is (by far, I think) the largest MD/PhD program in Canada, which means the most peers to learn from, and the most experience on the part of the program and the faculty in successfully getting students through, and knowing what works and what doesn't. It doesn't have a limit on the length of the PhD, and requires that the PhD be completed with the same rigor as non-MD/PhD grad students. They also don't expect you to necessarily arrive with a defined research focus, and will help you to find one.

I would not have minded reapplying more widely the following year (I deferred as it is!) so it didn't make sense to apply to any programs which weren't my first choice at that time.

US MD/PhD programs are full MD and PhD programs. You do two years of basic sciences with the MD students, and then take off 3-5 years to do your PhD and then return to do your third and fourth years of medical school. They take the same exams and do the same things as students in the MD and PhD programs.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AliatUofT

Canadians can get accepted, however i will tell you right now that it is next to impossible.

you have to be a very very good candidate for them to even look at you.

the MSTP program in the US is federally funded, so the funds are resereved for US citizens, for a school to accept you, they will have to pick up the tab, thats what puts a canadian at a hugh disadvantage

Ali

Guest peachy
US MD/PhD programs are full MD and PhD programs. You do two years of basic sciences with the MD students, and then take off 3-5 years to do your PhD and then return to do your third and fourth years of medical school. They take the same exams and do the same things as students in the MD and PhD programs.
That's what I thought too when I was first looking into it - but if you read through studentdoctor.net, there are several threads with comments by students who are in MSTP programs saying that that is, in fact, not the case. Anyways, anybody looking seriously into this option would be well advised to check it out for themselves!

Archived