Premed 101 Forums

Prepping for interviews

Guest McCarey007

Guest McCarey007

I was wondering if anyone have any comments about how to prepare for an interview in the States. I have an interview at NYMC in 2 weeks ( i received the invite 2 months ago).

Should I read up on the local news in NY? Canadian interviews usually expect u to be able to talk about issues and news pertaining to that particular provice it seems. Are most interviews in the states just character/get to know you interviews? Or will they drill me on American topics?

Thanks in advance.

they'll ask you to compare the American and Canadian health care systems. Be prepared to discuss why you applied to US schools. I had a bad interview at NYMC two years ago. the lady was downright mean, but a lot of my fellow applicants seemed to have really nice interviewers. But just relax, and you'll do fine. NYMC is a really good school, just 45 minutes from the city, without the hassles of city life.

Good luck and enjoy NYC!

Guest thesaug

One thing that you should prepare for is Why NYMC? Also, in my US interviews, I was asked at almost every school the other schools I applied to.

Overall, I have found US interviews to be much more laid back discussion type of format. They really dont have a strict regiment of questions to ask (or so I have experienced).

Good luck!

Guest McCarey007

Thanks thesaug and moo.

What happened at your interview moo? Sounded serious. Did she attack you on your accomplishments or ethics?

Also what are generally "accepted" reasons for going to their particular school, besides "i realy like NY" and "I like your curriculum." I know that US schools want to hear that you really want to go to their school.

The truth is, I haven't been to NY before and I only have one good friend who lives in Manhattan. However, I know that it's a place I would like to study and work in the future. I also see NYMC as a back up in case I don't get into a canadian program this year. I don't think my honesty would be much appreciated.

Archived