Premed 101 Forums

how much elective time?

Guest mosquitoba

Guest mosquitoba

I'm just wondering if any current U of M meds can outline how much elective/selective time there is in the curriculum. Do you feel its enough, and properly scheduled, to allow you to really explore all your opportunities before CaRMs? Thanks in advance!

Mosquitoba

Guest ManitobaMed

Hey Mosquitoba,

We have 12 weeks of elective time, which runs between the end of September and the December break. Generally speaking, students break this time up into 3 - 4wk electives or 4 - 3wk electives. The advantage to the timing of our electives is that we've completed all our core rotations by the time we get to them, so our knowledge-base and clinical skills have been expanded considerably. Also, by the time we apply for electives, we've completed a number of core rotations, which helps us in deciding what specialty we'd like to pursue. (Otherwise, it's a bit of a stab in the dark. )The down-side is that we start CaRMS applications before electives are complete. In addition to electives, we have 4 wks of internal subspecialty and 2 wks of surgery subspecialty as part of our core rotations, for which we submit rank lists of subspecialty services.

Is elective time appropriately timed for CaRMS? Not altogether. However, many (if not most) people are adequately able to explore specialty opportunities within the context of core rotations, which allow exposure to a number of fields. Additionally, there is ample opportunity throughout 1st and 2nd year (and the summers thereof) to explore various medical fields if one should so desire.

Overall, I think our amount of elective time and elective timing is similar to many other schools. I'm not sure that there is an ideal time for electives, as there are shortcomings no matter where they're placed in the clerkship curriculum.

As far as total selective/elective time, there are also "floating selectives" during CaRMS interviews and beyond in 4th, which provide further clinical rotation time.

Hope this answers your question! :)

Archived