Premed 101 Forums

more info for different specialities?

Guest xylem33

Guest xylem33

After looking thru the various threads, I have more questions than before about the different specialities. Are there websites or books that provide some good information, i.e., description of what the job is like for a specific speciality, how long residency is, etc. I'm not too concerned with the $$ b/c anything over 100K is good enough for me. I just don't want to be doing something that I don't enjoy...and since there are sooo many different specialities, I wanted to know more about them so i can start thinking about what I might like.

For example...saying that derm deals with skin, works less hours, and makes a lot of $$ isn't that helpful to me. I guess I'm looking for more comprehensive info?

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, there are a good number of books out there that detail the various specialties--some going as far as reporting the results of surveys to practitioners in each area. One book from the UK that I found good (and funny--bonus) was "So You Want to Be a Brain Surgeon?". There are a few others, although I can't recall the titles at the moment and am out of town, i.e., away from my bookshelf, so I can't easily snag the titles for you. However, try a search on Amazon--that's where I found the majority of the books that I have on the topic.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived