Premed 101 Forums

Handbook on starting a clinic

Guest Shahenshah

Guest Shahenshah

this is actually for a friend of mine: he has a few prime properties in downtown toronto and was looking to administer a medical clinic..he is a pharmacist and would like to administer a clinic just so he has a bit more control on the hours etc as he has a pharmacy close by(I'm not even sure if he can do this)..well he was asking about a book released through oma that details the requirements of running a clinic..anyone have any info on this or where I can obtain such info.

thanks.

Guest Ian Wong

I don't actually understand the question. When you say, "administer a clinic", do you mean setting up a clinic? What kind of clinic? ie. a walk-in clinic for physicians?

If so, how would that affect the hours that a pharmacist works, unless he/she installed a pharmacy right next hour and matched his/her store hours with the walk-in clinic's hours?

I'll be upfront and tell you that I don't have any leads on those resources either way. :)

Ian

Guest Shahenshah

that's exactly it..he wants to set up a walk-in clinic but wants to know what the requirements for setting one up are(does it require wheel chair access, or any other things that might be required by law)..and yes he is opening a pharmacy right next door and wants to match the pharmacy hours with the clinic hours so as to maximize the patient flow to his pharmacy..for him as a pharmacist, his primary interest is in developing a sucsessful pharmacy through which he hopes to make most of his money.. (don't ask me too much about the logic to this but that's his business decision:) )...

Guest cracked30

So, he is trying to set up a clinic, staffed by docs, that he runs, next to his pharmacy. By convenience, people requiring presciptions, will pass his pharmacy and fill the presciptions there. Sketchy, but legal, the College of pharmacists of whatever province he is in might raise an eyebrow.

Anyways, buy a building, hire nurses and secretaries, set up a bank of patient rooms, a cast room, an eye room, a gynecological room, a lab and then try and find some doctors that will staff it. Should cost a pretty penny.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Shahenshah,

This can be a very successful model, from what I've seen. Good luck to your pal undertaking it. I used to work in a small, seven-story building in Richmond Hill, the majority of tennants of which were physicians. On the first floor of the building, at the lobby entrance, was the bustling pharmacy. The other components that seemed to make the building uber-attractive to its tennants were the added luxuries of an on-site diagnostic lab (with blood-taking facilities) and ultrasound clinic.

I don't know of any books that breach this sort of topic, but there must be at least one journal out there that covers these sort of issues on a regular basis, no? :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

I just remembered that there's a section on the CMA website for residents regarding setting up a practice. I think you need to log in to access this private section of the CMA website, however. As a medical student, depending on whether your student body covered this in orientation, you might have already registered with OMA and the CMA, in which case you could access those documents.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Archived