Premed 101 Forums

Laptops

Guest sab10

Guest waitingINwonder

Do people actually lug around their laptops all day for lectures, pbl, etc??

Because I've had a pretty huge one for the past couple of years which I avoid carrying around as much as possible, but if it's useful to have one on hand during med school, then I may just need to get a new one . . .

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the size of the laptop I guess.. the ones we get in Ottawa are lighter than most textbooks I've ever had, let alone a couple of binders full of notes in there with them.

Guest Anish  P

I never brought my laptop to class at UWO; paper and pen was fine for me. However, many of my classmates brought their laptops to class, for lots of reasons (take notes, google unknown terms that the prof uses, check e-mail in between classes, web sudoku during boring classes, etc.). Whether or not you bring yours depends on how much you'd use it, what you'd use it for, etc. If I were you, I'd wait and see how the first few weeks of school go before deciding whether or not to buy a new one...

Guest medinvan

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem.

I've been trying the purchase a laptop from Dell with the CMA warranty deal for the past month, but the Dell representative who handles CMA warranty deal purchases has made it very very difficult to place an order.

He has never responded to my emails. So I called CMA to obtain his phone number, but even though he verbally says he will send me a quote, or verbally promises a certain component on the laptop, he turns around and ignores everything he said he will do. It took 3 weeks of calling...finally to his manager...before he sent me a quote. Now, he rarely answers the phone when I call, and when he does answer, he says he's busy with a client and will call back (which he never does). Thus far, I still haven't been able to complete my order.

I was wondering if anyone else has had troubles completing a Dell purchase with the CMA warranty deal? Has anyone been able to get the CMA deal through a different Dell representative?

Guest peachy

I've bought two computers through the Dell reps on the CMA website, and both times they responded immediately to my email, and I was able to purchase the computer that day.

Guest peachy

Right now there's only one rep listed on the CMA site (Michael something, I think?). I bought a computer through him about a week ago, and he was very quick to respond..

Guest geekpunk

I had the same problem with the Dell rep. In the end after weeks of trying to get in contact with that specific Dell rep, and with little dignity or sense of self-worth, I just gave up and ordered a laptop without getting the special deal. :\

But on the bright side, I'm loving this Inspiron 6400 notebook. So far so good!

Guest cedar05

Hey guys,

I emailed the dell rep and he got back to me that same day and we had the laptop ordered the next day. He was very helpful. Maybe he was just on vacation when others tried.

How do you guys feel about a tablet PC? At the moment, theyre so much more expensive than comparable laptops, that its almost crazy even considering it. Some of the ones out there are nearly 2k. The best priced one that I saw was the Gateway one from Bestbuy for $1400 or whatever it was. But even then, the same Dell would be under a grand.

So basically, are Tablets worth it? As a med student, will I find it anywhere close to being necessary? Obviously, we've survived this long without need for a tablet in med schools, but if its as great as some people say it is, then maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy one.

Guest uOttawaBch

I was also wondering how many of you are going to wait for the Core Duo 2 (merom) processors to be out in late august before buying your laptops? Just curious b/c I'm debating whether or not I should...

Thanks!

Guest peachy
So basically, are Tablets worth it? As a med student, will I find it anywhere close to being necessary?
No, you definitely won't find it necessary. It probably depends on your curriculum -- at U of T my tablet is pretty useless because we get printouts of all our notes. I have found it extremely useful when taking math courses, on the other hand. :)

Guest blinknoodle

I had requested quotes with Dell with no problems, either. However, this was back in March and it was a different rep (Ingrid Plourde, I think). She actually emailed all the quotes of everyone that day to everyone, so I had the quote for a computer, laptop as well as my order.

Archived