Premed 101 Forums

Passing Grades in Med School Courses

Guest opiedog

Guest opiedog

Hi there,

I was wondering if students from different Ontario med schools would be willing to post what is the passing minimum grade for their programs.

I realize that programs and organization of content vary by a long stretch, and as such it is difficult to make any comparisons. But, am curious just the same.

At NOSM, we have a minimum passing grade of 75.

Thanks!

Guest satsumargirl

Ottawa = 60% on the block exam and a "meets expectations" in PBL together gets you a pass for the block.

But u would need to make an appointment for academic counselling.

Guest QM6

Queen's is the same - 60% on the pre-clerkship blocks gets you the coveted "PA" (80% for an "HN"). Clinical Skills has some 5-point scale that no one really ever figured out how gets massaged into "PA" or "HN" (it's not just 3's = pass and 4-5's = honours apparently). Ethics, Law, InfoLit and PBL is straight up satisfactory/unsatisfactory.

Then, every clerkship block has its own thing. 5-point scale "In-Training Evaluation Reports" for clinical performance (your attending/residents fills out forms), and some sort of end-of-block exam; the pass/honours cut-offs vary. eg Surgery: the standardised National Board of Medical Examiners exam. 60% on that + satisfactory (3's) ITERs = pass; 80% exam + very good/outstanding (4-5s) ITERs = honours.

Guest peachy

In preclerkship at U of T, 80 is honours, 70 is always a pass, and 59 is always a fail. The area between 60 and 69 is hazy, and depends on the course: sometimes it's a fail, sometimes it's a pass, and sometimes it's a pass dependent on summer remediation.

Guest NurseNathalie

Congrats Head Dawg !

just out of curiosity.. did you find that this type of learning/fast pace adequately prepared you for the LMCC? (in first year now at Mac)

Guest Head Dawg

Hi NN,

Well, I think you 1st year folks are doing quite a different curriculum than we did, but I supposed many things were the same.

I'd say the program prepared me as well as any other program probably would have. I don't feel I was disadvantaged in any way, it that's saying anything.

The biggest help was just all the studying time we had in Unit 6, with really nothing official scheduled except for one or two review lectures every day. With no tutorials or other sessions, your days are mostly free, for about 10 weeks, to study, do practice tests, review with friends, go crazy etc....

That was the biggest help - and I thank Mac for that time.

HD

Guest NurseNathalie

Thanks for the reply!

I guess it's just going by so quickly, that I was worried I wouldn't learn enough lol

it's reassuring to know we should be okay- the school tells us we will be, but I wanted to hear it from someone who's been there !

:)

Archived