Premed 101 Forums

Has anyone volunteered abroad?

Guest kayos

I am a Med I planning to travel to Europe this summer and I am hoping to do some volunteer work while I am over there. I have no idea where to start so I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever volunteered in Europe or if there are any reputable organizations you can recommend??? Thanks!

Guest quebecboy

Hey Kayos,

Does your medschool have an international office, or liaison officer? If so, it will be much easier for you to get some training in Europe (unless if you have contacts). Most medical schools have them, so it might be a thing to check out... If you're a student from Quebec, the FMEQ is associated with IFMSA, which gives you access to a lot of international destinations to do a bit of training. Maybe Ontario or the other provinces has something similar, but I've never heard about it. For my part, I did a month and a half preclerckship training this summer, not in Europe, but in VietNam. Going international to learn is really a great experience, you get to learn so much, apply your classroom knoweldge to real clinical cases, and on top of that, you get to discover a new culture, which is really rewarding.

Best of luck,

Max

Guest cutieyellow

How was Vietnam Max? Went back with the girlfriend to explore her country? Very very sweet :) I've never actually been to VN, but i do intend to go sometime, perhaps as a honeymoon, with a trip to Thailand as well ? :)

CY

Archived